Leaking forks

Zubanoid

Likes Bikes
Hey all.

I finished a ride and noticed my forks had leaked a bit on the ride. Looks like it was a one off as there was only a little bit there and I wiped them and tried pumping the forks a little to see if they leaked again and nothing came out.

Anyone had this before? I will get them serviced but I am curious as to what may have caused it so I can avoid it...

I have a Giant Reign SX with Fox somethings (can't recall model right now) with 150mm travel. I have only had the bike a little while and was trying some settings on the fork. I had them set to roughly the middle for pre-load and rebound. I tried turning the pre-load right down (two notches in) and I wonder if maybe I bottomed them out at some stage - I only did some small drop offs and rocks... Nothing too heavy I thought... They aren't leaking at all and even after I washed the bike and pumped the forks again, nothing came out.

Maybe the seals are a bit worn? Any suggestions?

Cheers

T-Rex

Template denier
Maybe the seals are a bit worn?

Cheers
Correct, you've answered your own question. A car park bounce won't make them leak any more, as the oil is sitting down the bottom, and the seals are all the way at the top. You will need to take them for another ride to see the leak reappear.

Get a lowers service done, including new seals, and you are good to go.

DJR

Likes Dirt
Don't ride them too much. By the time the seals go, dirt starts getting into the oil and causes more issues inside the forks themselves. Get a oil change and seals change done. You can DIY if you are so inclined

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It would be soft to stop riding just cause you have no air in your forks .... just ask jared graves !