Leaking Brakes

davee

Likes Bikes
Hi All,
So as you could probably guess I have an issue with my brakes leaking.
I have a Hayes Sole for the rear, I got my bike out of the back of my car after about 20mins and go to roll down the driveway to take it round the back. Then to my surprise when I pulled on the lever my leg was covered in brake fluid as it was pouring out from the lever.
Being a bit new to hydro brakes I was thinking it was because the bike was on its side and the fluid levels were not even, left it for a few hours but still had the same problem.
So anyone have any ideas about what is wrong and how i can fix it?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1) - Don't waste your money on any sort of repair to the So1es. Worst. Brake. Ever. The leak has nothing to do with how you orientated your bike in the car, it's just a quality issue with the product.

2) - If you have the coin, get down to your lbs and pick up a Juicy 3 or Hayes Stroker on special if you can find one, or failing that get onto the net (Fleabay or CRC or similar) and get yourself a deal.

You really will be wasting your time if you fix the So1es (sounds like a reservior seal has perished or blown out or the common bleed plug problem) as they are a shit brake at the best of times and you will only have more troubles with them later on. You should be able to get a decent entry level dual piston brake and 6" rotor combo for under $200 bucks, either at the LBS if they have some xmas specials, or on the net.

EDIT - Have a read through here and pick the problem that matches your symptoms. No shortage to choose from.
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-brake-system/hayes/sole-hydraulic/PRD_415525_1507crx.aspx

Last edited:

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha, lol read that page you put up wellsey...

They're not THAT bad, when you have them adjusted properly (which i don't)

My mate destroyed his on a brand new bike off a jump and then had to get new ones. Why he got new So1es ill never know.. :rolleyes: