le Official 2007 Tour de France thread

Ryan

Radministrator
What strikes me, is the fact that neither Rasmussen or Contador were the proposed team leaders for their teams.

Prior to this race, even their teams didn't believe.

How on earth can someone so scarce (Rasmussen) put the power down in a time trial?

And on the note of Cadel... would someone on drugs drop afew minutes on the most important stages... he looks like hell at the end of the mountain stages, Rasmussen and Contador on the other hand look fresh as daisies.
Rasmussen's reasonable performance in the last time trial was due to the fact that it had a pretty reasonable climb on it in time trial terms, not counting of course time trials that are climbs. On the next time trials he's going to get burnt off because it's pretty much dead flat and he doesn't have the sustained power to be able to well on such a course.

Topple's

Likes Bikes
This vino thing really is devastating. The bloke WAS a deadset legend, the tour for oncce looked like it may go through without scandal, and then he goes and farks the lot.
Cheats piss me off.

topher

Likes Dirt
Watching the highlight interviews with cadel evans over the last couple of days, ive noticed that none of his team members are there with him at the end, i always see him alone with the leaders in the last hills and within the last 70km. Sparks some interest is cadels team able to help him to victory? Did anyone see the interview where cadel hinted his team wasnt up to it, by saying something about how other teams have a bigger budget to buy better riders? While it flashed to his team mate chris horner saying he has the best team possible?
Bit of tension between team mates?

Bodin

GMBC
How on earth can someone so scarce (Rasmussen) put the power down in a time trial?
Chicken is 175cm & 69kg. Cadel is 174cm and 64kg. Based on those figures, Cadel is actually more "scarce" than chickenmeat, but goes a lot harder in the TT.

I don't believe those figures, though. I reckon, by the looks of him, www.letour.fr has printed "69" when it meant "59"... there's no way that he's only 9 kilos lighter than me.

And on the note of Cadel... would someone on drugs drop a few minutes on the most important stages... he looks like hell at the end of the mountain stages, Rasmussen and Contador on the other hand look fresh as daisies.
Good point. I've never taken performance-enhancing drugs and I always look like crap on a bike, so anyone that looks fresh at the top of a big TDF-style climb MUST be on something!!!

craign

Likes Dirt
Did anyone see the interview where cadel hinted his team wasnt up to it, by saying something about how other teams have a bigger budget to buy better riders? While it flashed to his team mate chris horner saying he has the best team possible?
Bit of tension between team mates?
Horner's "best team possible" might be the best team considering the riders on the squad. Surely after this P-L can buy him a few climbers! Horner's a reasonable stage racer to have at your disposal, but not really a noted climber.

m_g

Likes Dirt
im starting a vino hate club, wanna join?...he's ruined the tour for me...first time I've been "into it" enough to care about the scandals...now all those late night viewings and early morning water cooler chatter seem a waste...
I think someone said it earlier, lets hope cadel avoids any scandal or Im done...

topher

Likes Dirt
Its a shame about vino, he was going along well, considering he had a huge number of stitches in him, really respected the effort he made to stay in the race too.

If cadel ever has anything to do with drugs it will be a bad day for australian cycling, same goes for simon garrens and robbie.

Last edited:

Ryan

Radministrator
Its a shame about vino, he was going along well, considering he had a huge number of stiches in him, really respected the effort he made to stay in the race too.

If cadel ever has anything to do with drugs it will be a bad day for australian cycling, same goes for simon garrens and robbie.
You'd have a great race too if you got to feast on the blood of the young every night. Blood doping is ghoulish and creeps me out tremendously.

Bodin

GMBC
You'd have a great race too if you got to feast on the blood of the young every night. Blood doping is ghoulish and creeps me out tremendously.
Someone with more Photoshop skills than me needs to take inspiration from Ryan's words and get to work on a photo of Vino immediately.

I need a new background for my work PC... (2560 X 1024 so it covers both screens please!)

tu plang

knob
"And how does someone like yourself make use of the stem cells chris?"
"Well its very simple"

Attachments

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
I've got to say that im so over all the hype of drugs in cycling, Vino is a hero of mine for what he acheived, and although he's been busted I still hold his riding in high regard, because I dont know who's clean!?! So far this tour I've heard rumours of several riders doping, be it Rasmussen, Contador, whoever... It's all rumours until they get caught, then it's just a shame because everybody lose's.

Drugs are not, and can never in my opinion destroy cycling, but the actions of the media and groups like the UCI can do enormous damage. Their actions are putting he sport in greater jeperdy than anything else. Sadly now every racer is a suspect, and who want's to sponser a sport full of suspects.

To me the route of this problem is the doctors and suppliers, I believe an amnesty should be brought in in exchange for details on who is supplying and prescribing these products, or administrating these procedures. Get these people out of the sport and cycling will be a healthier sport.(dont get me wrong, theres some people that will find a way to cheat no matter what. It's about changing the culture to make it the exception rather than the rule.)
In the real world it's the drug dealers that get targeted and face the greatest penaltys from the law, not the end user. I would like to see the same thing happen in cycling.

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Vino was my hands down hero. What he and guys like Ullrich, Eki etc put them self through as youngsters was nuts.
I really dont give a shit that he doped, everyones doing it still.
I thought he would have been one of the few to balls up and just admit it right there on the spot but he had to come out with shit like this.

''Alexandre Vinokouv has protested his innocence to l'Equipe, claiming he never doped. He's come up with a bizarre explanation as to why he failed the test, which was reported to have shown red blood cells from two different people:

'I think it's a mistake in part due to my crash. I have spoken to the team doctors who had a hypothesis that there was an enormous amount of blood in my thighs, which could have led to my positive test.'

He also claimed that un-named people within the sport have been victimising the team, saying that there is a lot of jealousy about Astana. Hmmm..''

Last edited:

Bodin

GMBC
Orright. Enough of the drug debate. Something more important's happening right now:

CADEL'S IN TROUBLE!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Looks like Sastre has chosen this as the moment that he has a crack at getting on the podium. I hope he doesn't get far enough ahead that Cadel can't peg him back in the TT... :(

tojo

Likes Bikes
i reckon tonight is gonna be exciting! I hope Contador sticks it to that skinny little chicken and roasts him! Hopefully Cadel will put in a good fight too.

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
Go Rasmussen!!! I hope he breaks Contador tonight, I want a Mountain biker to win.
Be interested to see what Cadel can do tonight as well, how did the rest day treat them I wonder?

Ryan

Radministrator
I just want to see Cadel attack someone, anyone, at some point during a mountain stage. Hanging on while everyone else makes moves and hoping that someone makes a mistake tonight is not going to keep him on the podium I fear, no matter how well he can time trial.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh feck - Cyclingnews has a news flash that someone else has tested positive to testosterone from Stage 11 (won by Hunter, with Chicken in yellow, and a bunch of random tests). No name yet though.

Bodin

GMBC
Bodin on 29/06/07 said:
And for the record, my money's on Sastre. I know Raschicken won the dots last year, but statistically, Sastre was the strongest climber across all stages.
Sastre only 2 seconds off 2nd place overall... actually, they've just said he's gone in to virtual second.

edit: Soler now officially wearing the polka dots, not just borrowing them off the chicken.

Last edited:

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sastre only 2 seconds off 2nd place overall... actually, they've just said he's gone in to virtual second.
They are making him do all the work out front though, so he might get brought back by the Rabo boys. Be nice to see Cadel send some guys up though, just for the psych effect.