Lauf forks

stirk

Burner
Just saw a Lauf fork for the first time and think it's an interesting concept but it does not appear to have any​ damping to the spring that I can see anyway.

Anyone using one of these forks and can comment on the effectiveness of the fork and if there is a noticeable bounce from the lack of damping? Looks like a good idea for a commuter.

IMG_20170329_074736.jpg

poita

Likes Dirt
Not used one, but you have made the key point. No damping. Most of the reviews I read got stuck at this point. Maybe ok for corrugated dirt roads in a straight line but otherwise not so good I reckon.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Guess you're on FB markets then lol.

I was looking at one for a more aggressive gravel grinder build. They fit the bill but were asking something like $1350 delivered new. I'd not use these for any kind of mtb.

moorey

call me Mia
I think the idea is sound just the execution lacking damping control.

Eagerly awaiting the next resurgence in girder fork designs.
Can you give me one reason why you'd buy this over a regular suspension fork for a commuter? Being cool hip and different doesn't count

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Can you give me one reason why you'd buy this over a regular suspension fork for a commuter? Being cool hip and different doesn't count
I'll give you two:

1. Weight saving.
2. No maintenance.

Basically roadie stuff: weight weenie and 'compliance' without the oil hehe.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't think they are aimed at commuters. Have seen them on adventure-esque fat bikes. I'd say they handle sand, salt and cold weather better than telescopic, but just guessing as they'd need some angle to their pitch.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I once saw a chubby fellow commuting with a set of these. He was on King St, Newtown, wearing lycra and the frame was something expensive and exotic, can't remember, maybe a Seven.

The whole effect was a bit ridiculous.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
They're not for mountain bikes where any sort of decent travel or damping control is required - they're gravel grinder forks.

I think I read there is a certain amount of damping somehow in the way the carbon flexes, but dont quote me on that.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's definitely the perfect answer to a question no one asked.
Wasn't there a plague of these alternative designs in the early days of suspension? How many survived until this abomination arrived? There's probably a reason...or a lot of reasons, the first of which is "fuck me that's ugly."

moorey

call me Mia
They're not for mountain bikes where any sort of decent travel or damping control is required - they're gravel grinder forks.

I think I read there is a certain amount of damping somehow in the way the carbon flexes, but dont quote me on that.
Quoted. Should have known that king fucking hipster would defend them.
I fucking hate the term gravel grinder. Such a wank.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Quoted. Should have known that king fucking hipster would defend them.
I fucking hate the term gravel grinder. Such a wank.
Gravel Grinder... blame the Americans like for Trump :)

The forks originated in Europe where a lot of the trail composition is quite different to here and the use of 29er hardtails, semi slick tires, and weightweenisim rules.... basically everything you detest.
I believe the forks have been used in the Croc Trophy 2 years back.