KS Lev Integra issue

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I've got an Integra on the Genius and haven't had any problems until today while cleaning the bike I noticed it has developed a bit of float in the last 20mm or so of travel. When fully compressed and then released, if you pull up on the seat there is another 20mm or so of movement that sucks back when you let go. If you hold the remote while pulling up, it will stay up, but any load on the seat and it drops back down that 20mm or so. It is fine through the rest of its travel. The remote is working fine and the cable is free. The post is maybe 6 months old?
I thought I'd read others having this issue on here and there was a simple fix, but can't find anything.
Anyone know of the thread, or has had this issue?

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
I've got an Integra on the Genius and haven't had any problems until today while cleaning the bike I noticed it has developed a bit of float in the last 20mm or so of travel. When fully compressed and then released, if you pull up on the seat there is another 20mm or so of movement that sucks back when you let go. If you hold the remote while pulling up, it will stay up, but any load on the seat and it drops back down that 20mm or so. It is fine through the rest of its travel. The remote is working fine and the cable is free. The post is maybe 6 months old?
I thought I'd read others having this issue on here and there was a simple fix, but can't find anything.
Anyone know of the thread, or has had this issue?
Haven't heard of this before, but have you adjusted the barrel adjuster and checked the air pressure?

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Haven't tried anything yet. The barrel adjuster is spot on, and the post is operating as it should for all but the last little bit of its travel. It holds any position in between and moves with no problem. Just this top end float.
I'm thinking I'll let the air out completely, re-pressurise and see what that does.
It's not even something that I've even noticed while riding, just when I moved it today while cleaning the bike, the saddle lifted.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Mine did this and was rebuilt under warranty
Not what I wanted to hear. I want someone to say "oh, easy fix. Just do this."
I had a Reverb before and didn't have a problem with it, just thought a KS would be more reliable long term. Maybe not.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Not what I wanted to hear. I want someone to say "oh, easy fix. Just do this."
I had a Reverb before and didn't have a problem with it, just thought a KS would be more reliable long term. Maybe not.
Pushie are great to deal with. Won't be an issue for warranty.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Not sure I'm reading your description correctly but are you saying

i) when the post is not at full extension ... and you lift from the saddle ... then it tops out ?? then drops back.
- After you do this then it compresses ??? only at the top of its travel ... but no where else ??

or

ii) at full extension ... when you sit on the post it compresses approx 20mm

or

iii) by last 20mm of travel or so (ie at the bottom of its travel) it is spongey ??

i) => lifting from the saddle
You should train yourself not to lift the bike from the saddle. There is no mechanical stop built into the KS design to stop it from topping out. You can only lift from the saddle when the post is at full extension ... as this is the only position where the post can no longer extend.
- pulling up from the saddle sometimes aerates the damping fluid in the cart ... so it becomes spongey until it dissipates and returns to normal.
The key here is that the post behaves how it should elsewhere in its travel. EASY FIX

ii) =>if the cart is "bobbing"or compressing anywhere in its travel persistently then the cart has failed and needs to be replaced.
no post is bullet proof unfortunately, there is a failure rate, no matter how small. Send it to Pushie and we normally turn it around within the week, depending when we get it. EASY REPAIR

iii) => If the issue is just at the bottom of its travel ... what is happening is you have air stuck in the mast (between the mast and the Cart ... which is acting like negative spring rate and pushing up on the cart as you try to lower it. Usually this happens because the post is full of mud and needs a service, or you've just serviced it and the lube needs to thin. EASY FIX

this vid shows you how to open up your post so you can clean the puppy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOYjhtPFZ4I
Basic service is $35 + return shipping if you don't have time to DIY

email sales@pushie.com.au if you'd like our "how to guide" on performing a relube with Slickoleum ... preventative maintenance is the key to keeping all brands of posts nice and smooth for longer.

If in doubt contact Pushie and we can walk through it.

Last edited:

kwikee

Likes Dirt
It is only at full extension, only it doesn't reach full extension. With no weight, push the remote and the post extends and stops. If you then lift the saddle, it will lift another 20mm or so and return to its previous "full" extension when released. If you hold the remote and do this, it will stay at full extension until you put any weight on the saddle, whereby it returns to the "full" extension.
With the post compressed to anywhere in its travel at all, it behaves as it should. This is only a problem at full extension.
*EDIT* just decompressed and recharged the air, the sponginess is everywhere, even at half extension the post has a bounciness. It is most obvious at full extension, but is there all the way.
Time to pack it up to send to Pushie. Do I send the remote and all?

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Apologies for the hijack, but it seems like OP already figured he's gotta send his it in for service.
My LEV, when the post is at the very bottom... it rill slowly rise by itself by about 10-15mm (so you can just see the full 150 printed on it).
Is that what's described here?

It also very slightly sinks when I sit on it at any point throughout the travel as well.

iii) => If the issue is just at the bottom of its travel ... what is happening is you have air stuck in the mast (between the mast and the Cart ... which is acting like negative spring rate and pushing up on the cart as you try to lower it. Usually this happens because the post is full of mud and needs a service, or you've just serviced it and the lube needs to thin. EASY FIX

this vid shows you how to open up your post so you can clean the puppy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOYjhtPFZ4I
Basic service is $35 + return shipping if you don't have time to DIY

email sales@pushie.com.au if you'd like our "how to guide" on performing a relube with Slickoleum ... preventative maintenance is the key to keeping all brands of posts nice and smooth for longer.

If in doubt contact Pushie and we can walk through it.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Likely have gathered its not a good idea to let all the air out of the schrader valve. Put air in, let a little out to fine tune as needed, but to fully vacate the entire cart ???. Please dont do this, no need to deflate when travelling by air either.

Apologies for the hijack, but it seems like OP already figured he's gotta send his it in for service.
My LEV, when the post is at the very bottom... it rill slowly rise by itself by about 10-15mm (so you can just see the full 150 printed on it).
Is that what's described here?

It also very slightly sinks when I sit on it at any point throughout the travel as well.
The self rising thing sounds like trapped air ... however, if its compressing at any other point in its travel especially the top and middle then its looking like the cart is on its way out mate. Two separate issues really one is user dependent, the other is a cart issue. If in doubt send it in D.

the KS warranty guide is 2mm of vertical play / travel

Note: some carts have a settling in "notch" at the top of its travel only. As the post is topped out, the posts has a notch as it settles back to its max travel from full extension. Firm in all other travel positions.

Note: as with all consumer products, lack of obvious and reasonable maintenance voids warranty. 5min relube monthly or after wet rides is not a demanding or unreasonable amount of preventative maintenance for the end user. A general community announcement not directed at anybody in particular :love:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Cool, I might just send it up to you when it's time to pull it out of the Trance and put it into a new frame.

I've always kept under the collar lubricated, but never touched the internals (only had it for ~15 months).
It has just started acting strange fairly recently.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
A quick check is to unscrew the bottom cap ... if its full of mud, its time to crack it open and clean the puppy.
I suggest once a year crack it open and clean. But all depends on how often its exposed to water.

Lots of variables, but you are doing your bit which is all anyone can ask :dance: