knee/shin pads

maxirock

Squid
I recently got into downhill and i thought it would be in my best interests to buy some knee/shin pads. i have seen there are two main types, the hard shell and the soft ones that you pull on. i was looking to spend around $60.
which type would be best for me?
any help would be appreciated:)

Plow King

Little bit.
I recently got into downhill and i thought it would be in my best interests to buy some knee/shin pads. i have seen there are two main types, the hard shell and the soft ones that you pull on. i was looking to spend around $60.
which type would be best for me?
any help would be appreciated:)
I think there are a cheap pair of 661 ones on torpedo7 at the moment.

I think they will be both sufficient and in your budget.

www.torpedo7.com.au

Whoops maybe not. That was last weeks special. 661 Are generally pretty good. they are cheap and of a high quality.

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get a pair that cover your whole shin, from ankle to a bit above the knee. 60 bucks should get you a decent pair. T7 always has sales on this kind of equipment, as mentioned above.

I personally prefer "soft" ones, as opposed to hardshells.

maxirock

Squid
Get a pair that cover your whole shin, from ankle to a bit above the knee. 60 bucks should get you a decent pair. T7 always has sales on this kind of equipment, as mentioned above.

I personally prefer "soft" ones, as opposed to hardshells.
What is the difference?

-Jordan-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The hard shell ones generally protect you a little more, however, they get really hot and aren't the most comfortable (or so people say, I have no issues with mine).

The softer ones are more breathable and flexible etc.

I prefer the harder ones as I'm a hack and like to slide down rockgardens on my knees.

Think about which one you would rather, and go from there.

Best ones I've seen are the fox ones - bit more than your price range though. Might be able to find yourself some on sale though. If not, 661 are good. Mine are raceface - they have served me well, but are starting to die.

Most hard shell ones will be a bit more than $60 though. Looking around the $80 - $130 mark. Well worth it IMO though. Mainly for the above reason. :eek:

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Make sure that the armour fits well. I found that some brands fit way better than others, so 'try on' before you buy, even if you borrow some different pairs and go for a test ride. Regardless of the generic s,m,l, xl sizing, if they don't fit well, they are not worth spending the $ imo. Don't forget your elbows are important too. Lots of important bones, muscles, tendons, nerves and arteries in that area as well.

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've acutally found that the hard shell ones are generally cooler because they have more vent holes etc, whereas the neoprene is just like wearing a padded wetsuit - sweaty!

Hard shell ones are generally easier to get on and off as well if that matters to you (don't have to remove your shoes).

$20 more would get you the Race Face FR knee/shins which have a pretty good reputation, and will provide excellent protection for both knees and your whole shin. For a more budget option look at the range from 661. For lighter duty check out the soft types.

Benzy

Likes Dirt
I use 661 Veggie Wraps and they are great. Saved my shins on numerous occasions and are'nt too hot either.

TheT

Likes Bikes
Race Face Rally FreeRides. The Best under 80 buks, there hot but boy, ur legs arnt gona feel anything. You can get a pair through your local anaconda store.

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Someone pointed out the most important bit. Try before you buy!

Like a pair of jeans, anything like this is a personal choice.

Forget price.

Hard shell will protect you more than soft shell against a wider range of impacts.

You in Brisbane? Go see FTRiders. Have the guys fit you up.

Don't muck around with armour. Certainly don't get 661/TLD just because your mates have it.

Per your original post though - 661 are far and away the best range when considering, quality, depth and price;) No other brand can present the number of choices 661 can. FTR can show you.