Knee/shin pads?????

bobb

Likes Bikes
I cant work out what knee/shin pads i should buy for downhill theres so many different choice.
What would be the best pad to buy? I crash often and most the trails i ride i push back up, i dont have shuttle.
Replies would be much appreciated i cant make up my mind on what pads to buy.

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
I have rocked both 661 Knee/Shin guards (Not the hard cover ones just the soft ones) they work really well and seem to last a fair while. These are a sock type one that you pull on.

I also have a set of fox hard cover knee and upper shin guards that are really good. These strap around the back of your leg and clip in on either side.

Both work well, beware when buying sock type ones that they will tear and carry on at the seams of the velcro..

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use the Troy Lee Designs Lopes 2-piece knee/shin guards...they are by far the best I've had! Hardly noticable to ride with and don't restrict movement at all!

Only negative is they tend to slide a little down your leg after multiple runs but I don't tend to do them up that tight!

Noelg

Squid
The TLD Lopes are really good and i have been using them for a few years ,and yes they do slide down your leg especially once you crash and exposes the knee for carnage .
I now use the alpinestar Moab knee /shin guard and they are a heap better and yes i push the bike up the hill also and they dont bother me any more than the TLD

needaride

Likes Dirt
The TLD lopes are good but I have been using the Fox Launch Knee and Knee shin guard for the last 2 years now and wouldn't look back. They offer plenty of protection, don't slide up or down much, have been used on XC rides without restriction and last for ages. Would highly recommend either of these two options they offer:

http://tbsm.com.au/protection/body-armour-knee-shin/fox-launch-pro-knee-pads-4388

http://tbsm.com.au/protection/body-armour-knee-shin/fox-launch-pro-knee-shin-pads-12993

(i don't have any connection with TBSM, just the first site that came up)

bjmtb

Likes Dirt
I've used a few different brands. The TLD Lopes (look awesome) were comfortable to ride with but had a tendency to twist or slide EVERY TIME i crashed, regardless of how tight i had them. This was the reason I switched, ended up banging up my shins/knee because of it. not impressed. . Fox launch are fantastic! love the way they can release and easy to use. Offer heaps of protection and still reasonably comfortable. . Currently I run the 661 Evo's, practice makes perfect and it's rare now that i hit my shins (if at all). You have nothing to lose going and trying them on!

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
Im another who has the Fox Launch.

I've ridden so many different brands its beyond a joke. My previous two sets were both Dainese - the first was the old school set which were great but somehow I managed to lose them. I then replaced them with the newer style of Dainese and they always span around leaving my kneecap exposed which led to a broken knee.

Since them Ive looked for something that I feel a lot more safer in and thats defo what the Fox Launches do. They never slip or spin round on your leg and really do provide a lot of protection. Only for dh in my opinion though, I wouldnt be wearing them for xc.

Jake_6693

Likes Dirt
POC knee guard. $99. They have a big plastic pad up front and are made of wetsuit material and the inside is sticky so you'll have no troubles with them sliding down your leg if you buy them in the right size, And they don't stink up.
TBSM sell them.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
TLD KG5400 here.

I don't ride big rock gardens so they are great. I run the KG5450 which has a shin guard as well if I am wearing Moto pants.

The KG series of joint protection is about shock dispersion. If sliding down gravel and big rocks is your thing than use a hard case joint protection. Shock dispersion is he key to injury minimization.

allanw

Squid
+1 for POC. I used to have the 661 Rampage knee/shin guards and they would slide down my leg constantly. When I fell off they would take the initial impact with the ground then slide straight down my leg. I ended up replacing them with the POC knee/shin guards and love them. I can do half a dozen runs without even needing to think about having to pull them back up. I haven't crashed since getting them so I can't comment on their ability to stay on during a crash though.