King is king of women’s cross country

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
The olympic event of cross country started in wet conditions for round 2 of the National Series on the gold Coast. Slippery conditions made it tough for women hoping to make it to Beijing. With one Olympic spot up for grabs already the Australian season has witnessed close racing. Eventual winner, Zoe King (Manly, Syd) led in the first lap and retained her lead for four laps of the 5.5 km circuit.

“It was a really tough race,” admitted King, “the hills certainly did hurt.”

King appeared keen to dominate the race early however she claims otherwise.

“My plan was to go out a bit conservatively,” she said. “I passed them on the inside and my legs felt good. I was pretty comfortable being out there.”

When asked about pursuing the single women’s Olympic spot she said, “There’s a chance, so I’m certainly going to give it a shot.”

Second was Canberra’s Rosemary Barnes just three minutes off King’s blistering pace.

Favourite for the event, Tasmanian Rowena Fry, (Launceston) finished in third but stays in first place in the series equal on points with Zoe King.

In the men’s elite cross country an early break by Aiden Lefmann (Harbord) at the gun gave him a clear lead into the first of six laps. The Sydney rider stayed away from the chasing group and split the field.

Lefmann again gained the series lead which is a repeat of his early series lead last season.

Like the first round last year I was really stoked. I didn’t know what to expect coming into the race,” he admitted. “I would’ve been happy with top five. I just felt consistent.”

Cal Britten (Bright) stayed away from the chasing Shaun Lewis (Watson). Britten placed second in elite and claimed the Under 23 win. Lewis secured third while Adrian Jackson (Ferny Creek) took out the fourth spot and Dylan Cooper (Downer) finished fifth.

Brief Results

Elite Women Olympic Cross Country
1 # 303 Zoe King (Manly, SYD) 1 hr 47 min 0 sec
2 # 309 Rosemary Barnes (O’Connor, CANB) 1 hr 49 min 57 sec
3 # Rowena Fry (Launceston, TAS) 1 hr 51min 49 sec
4 # Jodie Willett (Morningside, BRIS) 1 hr 55 min 43 sec

Elite Men’s Olympic Cross Country
1 #5 Aiden Lefmann (Harbord, SYD) 2 hr 7 min 05 sec
2 #7 U/23 Cal Britten (Bright, VIC) 2 hr 9 min 59 sec
3 #4 Shaun Lewis (Watson, ACT) 2 hr 10 min 53 sec
4 #26 Adrian Jackson (Ferny Creek, MEL) 2 hr 11 min 10 sec

Regards,