Kids SPD shoes - help

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
My daughter races BMX and has decided she is ready to move to clipless - can anyone offer advice, recommendations and places to look around Melbourne for her to try different ones on?

I have done a heap of googling, but can't find much in the way of kids sizes or info...Thanks

rsclio

Likes Dirt
Cindie I got some Size 37 (Old AXO's) from Track & Trail
Matt's been sitting on the mag trainer - clip in , clip out, clip in, clip out.....

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
Cindie I got some Size 37 (Old AXO's) from Track & Trail
Matt's been sitting on the mag trainer - clip in , clip out, clip in, clip out.....

I found plenty of size 36 and up...it's the smaller ones that are hard to find. the main thing is we want to try some different brands on before chosing...We have a mag trainer coming to fit her 20" ;p

At nationals about 1/3 of her class were clipped in...She got knocked off 2nd berm and we don't think she would have come off if she'd been clipped (bumped by one rider and lost pedal so slowed right down and got t-boned by a second) If that hadn't happened she was looking set for a finals berth and an 'A' plate after getting all 3rds in Pre-Nats.

She wants to see how she goes in clips and if she catches on quick she wants to ride clipped at Worlds.

Craig Penglase

Likes Bikes
Hi Cindy
I put Issy in size 36 with a thicker set of inner soles from the chemist and they didnt slip when she was 7 or 8 but I havent let her train in them just race as I believe they stop them learning bike control.
If that fails Answer do the smallest kids shoes as well as Fly racing BB cycles in perth has some girl shoes in there tent at the Aussies.

Chef

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
Hi Cindy
I put Issy in size 36 with a thicker set of inner soles from the chemist and they didnt slip when she was 7 or 8 but I havent let her train in them just race as I believe they stop them learning bike control.
If that fails Answer do the smallest kids shoes as well as Fly racing BB cycles in perth has some girl shoes in there tent at the Aussies.
Chef
Hey Chef - Corey said he'd spoken to you about it how you did things with Issy - we agree re not training in them :) She will have to do some gate practice tho.
We saw the Fly's...but when we went to see about trying some on they were sold out! Have been wondering who imports them and who else sells them but haven't been able to find much out.

T-Rex

Template denier
My daughter races BMX and has decided she is ready to move to clipless - can anyone offer advice, recommendations and places to look around Melbourne for her to try different ones on?

I have done a heap of googling, but can't find much in the way of kids sizes or info...Thanks
I've got three pairs of shoes that my 13 y.o. son has outgrown over the past three years sitting in the cupboard. You can have any pair for $20 plus postage, just let me know what size you want.

In terms of a bit of advice, you need to get your girl to be able to be able to unclip by turning her heals out without thinking about it. The best way to do this is just by riding slowly around on grass, stopping and starting and clipping in an unclipping, over the course of a few days. Riding on grass is a pain in the you-know-what, but it hurts a lot less when the inevitable falls occur.