Keep or Change Bike

Kojarena

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

I have a 2013 Scott Spark 920 which is an awesome bike that I've had since new. It is a 29er size medium and whilst it suits me I've always found myself a little cramped on it. I could have gone the medium or large during the bike fitting but went medium as I like a good amount of stand over height.

Most rides leave me with pain in my lower back and a muscle knot.

Did the Oaks in the Blue Mountains yesterday with a group of friends and two of the others each had Trek Remedys. Both 9.9's but one was a large 29er and the other a medium 27.5. I rode the 29er and instantly it felt more natural, more comfortable and better suited to me. The back pain was gone and with the dropper post it was a lot of fun. Tried the 27.5 but on the medium it felt the same as my medium Spark 920 - a little cramped between the cockpit, seat and pedals. Even with the post at full height.

So I was thinking of selling the Spark 920 and getting a Genius 910. I like Scott bikes - love the twinlock remote and the general value for money. I'm no XC racer, never have been. I have a road bike for going quick. Having ridden both a Remedy and a Top Fuel 9.9 XC yesterday I am pretty keen on moving from XC to AM/Trail.

Went to the LBS today who are supposedly a recommended Scott dealer in inner suburban Sydney. (No names but they just moved from Burwood to a nearby suburb). I asked the friendly sales person if Scott were bringing in the Genius 29er 910 (Flow Mag said they were back in late 2015). He tapped some keys and told me there were no Scott Genius road bikes. Yeah - okay like I said I was after a 29er MTB. Tap tap tapity tap again and he informs me that YES that have one - it is blue. I asked him what it was - a Genius 704. Ummm okay again - that's an alu 27.5 - not really the full carbon 29er I was looking for. Oh we can order that one in if you really want it... no thanks.

So my questions -

1. Can anyone recommend a good Scott dealer around Sydney (Greengrocer were good but they had that fire and aren't back in biz yet)
2. Is there some way I can alter my current 920 medium to make it feel like a large - to give me that added comfort or be less cramped in my riding position. My seat is as far back on the rails as it will go, the stem is the standard 100mm Syncros unit and I've cut the bars down to 660mm width (former bike messenger, old habits die hard). Seat is at max height for my legs to avoid knee pain and when I put my heel on the pedals (Saint MX80s) they are fully extended. I know it won't ever feel like an AM/Trail bike as it is built as a XC rig.

I would consider another brand but I love the TwinLoc so I am keen to have that on whatever bike I get.

Open to suggestions. I already have a buyer for the Spark if I want to see it and I am okay to spend up to about $6500 on a replacement (all up).

thanks.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I hate to say it, but wider bars will make the bike feel bigger/longer.

I'd buy a set of cheap alloy bars (from someone here) at least 740mm wide just to try it out.

How wide were your current bars before you went chop chop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kojarena

Likes Bikes
I hate to say it, but wider bars will make the bike feel bigger/longer.

I'd buy a set of cheap alloy bars (from someone here) at least 740mm wide just to try it out.

How wide were your current bars before you went chop chop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They were 700mm

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Setback seatpost and wider bars would be a good start. I wouldn't go any longer than 100mm stem on an mtb. Is the stem set positive or negative? Negative would feel longer but also put more pressure on your lower back.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Trade out the frame for a large and switch your parts over. There are lots of awesome frames available...this will come in under your $6500 budget. You may need to forgo the shock "love" you have, but that will be easy when you realise it is only lust. Also grab some wider bars (I like to match them with shoulder width) and set back seat post if still needed. Then a shorter stem. Happy days all round.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get rid and move on...

As much as I love the Scott Spark, it's never going to ride like a Remedy / Genius. That's even with the bike in the slack setting.
I had one and loved it but it's a XC bike and by the sounds of it, the frame is too small.
You can get a layback post but if you want a dropper that limits your options.
Additionally, it makes the STA effectively slacker which hampers climbing and your back will not like it I suspect.

You can fit longer cranks (costly)
Wider bars (cheaper)

Your stem is already as long as one would recommend so you're at the limit there.
I'd say sell it off and get the bike you want. Granted the Twinlock is good, but other frames have suspension designs that mean you don't need it.

Decide on what you want from this next bike first.
There are so many great bikes to choose from, demo loads and make an informed personal decision. :^)

Good luck!

teK--

Eats Squid
I'd say get a new bike with correct frame size. Even with new stems, bars, cranks, seatpost, etc, etc eventually you exceed the limits of what the frame was designed to do and you still have a poorly fitted bike with body weight distribution all over the place.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
I second getting a new bike. 2013 model will be easy to sell. Also try demoing other models. I think people get hung up on one brand for all the wrong reasons. Try a bunch and go with what rides the best for you.

Kojarena

Likes Bikes
Thanks all,

a good variety of responses. Turns out the stem is 80mm long not 100mm so some scope there to try a longer 100mm stem and 750mm bars. I will do that first, then try a set back seat post if there is a little more comfort but as one poster said I do eventually want a dropper so that may not be an option. Otherwise I will sell the frame, or sell the bike and get something from new in a large frame. There is a lot to choose from.