Just starting out

KillerKills

Cannon Fodder
I'm just starting out and have been interested in freeriding, I have done quite a bit of dirt jumping and X-country but never anything like freeriding before, and i have just sold my Kona Scrap and have about $800-500 spending money on a freeride bike, i have been looking around for one and was wondering if anyone could give us any advice that will help me on getting started?

ozmanick

Likes Dirt
I have just bought a big hit 1 2009 about 3 weeks ago. And let me tell you.

POSITIVES: Plush as anything once it gets broken in, takes a bit to get used to the angle of the wheel, it's like going from a normal motorbike to a chopper, the seat is comfy, wheels pretty good for stock ones, awesome brakes, weighs about 18kg, climb really well for a dually.

NEGATIVES: The grips wear really easily, it's been 2 weeks and the decals on the grips have gone, the chain sometimes comes off, if you pedal backwards BUT this can be solved if you move the bottom roller back a bit(you have to experiment) forks top out pretty easily and you would want to zip tie the cable to the chain guide because it might hit the wheel if the chain comes off and then your brakes will let out all the fluid :/

Positives out weigh the negatives by a fair bit and i'm loving this bike immensely. If you have any other questions about this bike or about buying a new one or whatever fell free to pm me or whatever. Hope this helped.
Austin

Save up a bit more and buy a bighit or voltage fr or shore. Me and my little bro bought bighits and we are really pleased with them.
My Friend got a 2009 bighit off ebay for $1100! with potage from Melbourne.
Go get a cheep bighit!

Bighits are great value for money! alternately I'd second saving up a little extra and going with the Norco Shore, very sweet bike there and they can take some pretty big hits themselves!