Just Hammering along when....

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
As the title says i was doing my best to hit everything as good as my limited skills and dubious line choice's allow. When an unusual noise started coming from my drive train, on closer inspection this was the culprit. Now i am not surprised it broke, as in the last 3 months it has picked fights with so many logs way beyond its weight division and had quite a bashing. No what i am disappointed with is its name, it clearly was called a bash guard and was bought to defend teeth and chain. Is the problem in my interpretation of the name or its function, cause based on its performance i think it should be renamed a show guard.

Attachments

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
"This bullet proof vest can't stop 10 bullets in a row, therefore it should be named a show vest"

Also, it looks like it has been over tightened judging by where it has cracked

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Thats a good clean break, I'd glue that mofo back together and let it rip, no point in buying another one that will do the same thing.

indica

Serial flasher
in the last 3 months it has picked fights with so many logs way beyond its weight division and had quite a bashing..
It did what it is supposed to do.
Take a bashing.
If it was a show guard then it would have broken at the first bash...

teK--

Eats Squid
Bolts over tightened and/or incompatible chain lube or degreaser used which has weakened the plastic.

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
Bolts over tightened and/or incompatible chain lube or degreaser used which has weakened the plastic.
Na see them little gold aluminium spacers, they are there to stop ones over enthusiasm for crushing high torque tightening of bolts. Finish line lube only which is supposed to be compatible, but hey who knows maybe i spilled some mineral oil on it once when doing my brakes. Or maybe it really isn't the strongest bash guard as they claim and they rely on our low expectations. Any way this post was not for the defenders of free marketing, its for the people who want durable long lasting products for their hard earned cash. :behindsofa:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
chainrings are made from metal, hardened metal at that!...these are made from plastic, whom do you think will win!...doesn't really make sense
The manufactures design things to cope with 'Fair wear and Tear' , not crash bang tactics from Hurricane Brutus!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I still have my E-Thirteen bashy on my chase after about 10 years of hard, very hard labour. Maybe just lucky.

MARKL

Eats Squid
As the title says i was doing my best to hit everything as good as my limited skills and dubious line choice's allow. When an unusual noise started coming from my drive train, on closer inspection this was the culprit. Now i am not surprised it broke, as in the last 3 months it has picked fights with so many logs way beyond its weight division and had quite a bashing. No what i am disappointed with is its name, it clearly was called a bash guard and was bought to defend teeth and chain. Is the problem in my interpretation of the name or its function, cause based on its performance i think it should be renamed a show guard.
John Edward has advised me that your bash guard is very upset, bashie says...

I died valiantly, defending teeth and chain till the very end...what more can you ask for? Every time you started a fight with a log, i was there to defend your precious teeth and chain, even though they were fights that you started. I never asked for thanks, I even slimmed down compared to older models so you didn't have soo much weight to carry around whilst i fought the fights you couldn't. When I was bashed continually on one side, did you turn me around? No, I just kept getting hammered on one side until I couldn't take it anymore. I loved teeth and chain, I defended them as if they were my own, I never asked for thanks just respect for the sacrifice I have made.

Bashie

slowmick

38-39"
John Edward has advised me that your bash guard is very upset, bashie says...

I died valiantly, defending teeth and chain till the very end...what more can you ask for? Every time you started a fight with a log, i was there to defend your precious teeth and chain, even though they were fights that you started. I never asked for thanks, I even slimmed down compared to older models so you didn't have soo much weight to carry around whilst i fought the fights you couldn't. When I was bashed continually on one side, did you turn me around? No, I just kept getting hammered on one side until I couldn't take it anymore. I loved teeth and chain, I defended them as if they were my own, I never asked for thanks just respect for the sacrifice I have made.

Bashie
well plated sir, well played. :first:

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Just curious as to where the final point of impact was on the bashie. It would seem the broken bit was either behind or directly in front of the crank arm..Yeah?

effarr

Likes Dirt
"This bullet proof vest can't stop 10 bullets in a row, therefore it should be named a show vest"

Also, it looks like it has been over tightened judging by where it has cracked
It also appears to be the point of least cross sectional area so would be the natural line of shear failure.

I enjoyed the eulogy. If that's what it was :bounce:

Kramer

FoBR
Sounds like it has had a reasonably long life. I have killed a MRP XCG on my XC bike - had a tough life, and luckily MRP sell just the replacement polycarbon bash piece. If you want tougher I think Blackspire still do a metal bash ring.