Jump landing.. how to land properly..

Zenith

Likes Bikes
Im new to dirt jumps especially big ones.. and was wondering if there is a proper way to land.. besides the smart A## coments of on your wheels.. :)

I rode the mountain bike track at SOPAC on the weekend but didnt jump more than about 2 foot in the air.. but i know i need to jump higher to clear the doubles. but i dont want to land and brake myself or the bike.

i know it has to be technique.. and not just the bike or tyre presssures etc.

what pressure should i run as well?

lobstar

Likes Dirt
you wanna nose in abit and basically get as close are you cant to landing with both wheels landing at the same time.

ando_freeagent

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In my opinion landing either try land with both wheels at the same time.
By nosing in a little, using your brakes in the air can help with this or by landing back wheel slightly first when learning mainly in case you come short back wheel is better than front.
You dont want to land and manual on the front wheel, mainly because if your wheel tucks under you pretty much face case the ground.

Suburban rider

Likes Dirt
In my opinion landing either try land with both wheels at the same time.
By nosing in a little, using your brakes in the air can help with this or by landing back wheel slightly first when learning mainly in case you come short back wheel is better than front.
You dont want to land and manual on the front wheel, mainly because if your wheel tucks under you pretty much face case the ground.
i agree ^^ its probably the best way to land

Dj Boi

Likes Dirt
Try land both wheels at the same time will work and try to stay away from landing on your front wheel you will end up going over the bars it does hurt from personal experience.

Zenith

Likes Bikes
thanks all, now to watch thoes vids and get out and practice..

i didnt think using your brakes in the air would do anything..

just shows you learn somthing every day :)

Just feather your brakes a little at the top of your jump and it'll bring the nose down. Don't grab a handful, just a light tap.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dont use your brakes... its a bad habit and usualy doesnt look or feel as smooth.

learn to use your body to control your bike, only in emergencies use your back brake to pull the front down, and stop you looping out.

but otherwise its all good advice

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't think

Pull up like a bitch

Then and only then worry about tucking the back end up to nosedive a little into the landing

Best jumps at homebush to learn is the second straight, pump the first part of the triple air the second two, then try to get the little step up after it.

Edit: noticed you used the term SOPAC are you a swimmer? I remember classic carnivals down there it's a great pool..

Last edited:

Zenith

Likes Bikes
haha ok.. so no brakes :)

im just going to practice body position :)

2nd straight at Homebush track.. i know the one your talking about.. i was watching a few guys do it on Sunday. :)

Mad_Mike, im not a swimmer, but my girlfriend worked at the aquatic centre there for a few years.. so i am just used to calling the whole of homebush olyimpic park SOPAC. :)

zebde

Likes Bikes
Sorta related

Are you talking about the Mtn X or BMX straight?

I'm getting back into riding/jumping after a long time off and I'm having trouble building up the confidence to hit some of the doubles (as well as the speed). Anyone have any advice for these courses? I've stabbed the starting tabletop on both tracks alot, but can't clear it, although I don't think you're supposed to. Then I hit the double, chicken out and roll over it. Its not the air time or the actual jumping that gets me, its the landing on the lip of the landing and hurting myself bit. Any tips? Or should I just stack a bit til I nail it?

I live within yelling distance of this track, which is awesome, but I can't make full use of it until I can clear the jumps properly. It sucks! I really want to practice here to get my technique down before I combine it into my downhill.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you talking about the Mtn X or BMX straight?

I'm getting back into riding/jumping after a long time off and I'm having trouble building up the confidence to hit some of the doubles (as well as the speed). Anyone have any advice for these courses? I've stabbed the starting tabletop on both tracks alot, but can't clear it, although I don't think you're supposed to. Then I hit the double, chicken out and roll over it. Its not the air time or the actual jumping that gets me, its the landing on the lip of the landing and hurting myself bit. Any tips? Or should I just stack a bit til I nail it?

I live within yelling distance of this track, which is awesome, but I can't make full use of it until I can clear the jumps properly. It sucks! I really want to practice here to get my technique down before I combine it into my downhill.
On the MtnX just pump the first straight, Pin it round the burm, then do as I explained above. After you got that down pact try and roll in from the top of the burm and try the first double on the 4th straight. The step down on the last straight is really easy too, it's just a bit rutted out at the moment. I'll swing you a PM next time we head down and we can have a ride. Probably the middle Saturday of the holidays.

Tye

Likes Dirt
The thing that has made me jump things alot easier in the last week has been the way I boost. It's only been in the last week that I've really started hitting up big doubles. I found that while I was only doing little jumps, I would boost just by pulling up with my arms. But once you get bigger and bigger, I found I all of a sudden cleared jumps way easier when I crouch right down and the base off the take off, then push up into the air with my legs as well as pulling up on the bars. IT means the bike stays alot flatter in the air, and you don't have to concentrate as much on nosing it in to land.
Hope i've been helpful

EDIT: BMX tracks are good to learn on, because you can case without any big issues, and you become comfortable with jumps at speed, etc.

Last edited:

zebde

Likes Bikes
Cool, thanks guys. If this rain dries up tomorrow, I'll hit it for sure.

Though those tracks are light gravel and they can hack rain, so maybe its better for me if I stack while its wet...:rolleyes:

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
how to land properly

couple of things that may help,

Be relaxed in the air so that you are relaxed when you land. That way you can react better. Practice doing something in the air to take you mind of being nervous if you are nervous, eg moving your fingers..that will help in being loose like a moose!

Try twisting your wrists to help lining the wheels up so that the back does not land first (unless u want the back to land first).

Zenith

Likes Bikes
it's just a bit rutted out at the moment. I'll swing you a PM next time we head down and we can have a ride. Probably the middle Saturday of the holidays.
A bit.. i think it was a lot rutted..

if your going down there let me know as well.. i only live in Ryde, just down the road..

and it would be good to watch some one who knows what they are doing :)

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
ruts

A bit.. i think it was a lot rutted..

QUOTE]

Yeah i was there a couple of days ago and it did have a few ruts on the first straight. The ground was mega hard so it wasnt too much of a drama. The track felt pretty fast, maybe cos it was dry and the past few times it has been very wet.

Tye

Likes Dirt
it would be good to watch some one who knows what they are doing :)
No offence to mike, but he would probably say the same thing anyway. He's not that good. I mean, he can ride pretty damn good, but don't come down expecting amazing big doubles and flips and stuff:p