Ivanhoe dirt jumps need few seconds of your time

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, so I've never been to the place (my dirt jumping days are behind me), and know nothing about their history, other than what's been discussed on here. Am I to take it that:

-There have been jumps there for many years.
-The jumps were regularly used
-The jumps were doable by most
-Jumps were know, but tolerated by Council
-Jumps were recently rebuilt
-Jumps are now impossible for 98% of riders
-Jumps have been chained off by the builders, to only allow select friends to ride them at select times
-Jumps are/were now under threat of demolition form council.

What did I miss? :noidea:
100% correct - bulldoze em

Big JD

Wheel size expert
basically - no one rides it as it is. turn it into a fun pump track with smaller tables, open up the access and have fun

atschool

Likes Bikes
Ok, so I've never been to the place (my dirt jumping days are behind me), and know nothing about their history, other than what's been discussed on here. Am I to take it that:

-Jumps have been chained off by the builders, to only allow select friends to ride them at select times

Correct version:

-Old gap jumps with significant user base
-BMX guy comes in, demolishes old gaps jumps, makes 2 gap jumps and a bunch of awkward tabletops
-Council says okay, keep tabletops and please help maintain council jumps
-Nothing happens
-No one uses new jumps
-BMX 'gives up' on jumps, builds somewhere else
-Minor changes made to jumps to make them more user friendly
-BMX guy comes back, changes back the changes
-No one uses jumps
-BMX guy leaves the jumps alone
-BMX guy completely revamps the area
-Jumps still awkward, no one uses them
-BMX guy chains jumps, puts plastic on them
-Council gets freaked out, wants to demolish jumps
-Petition
-Jumps apparently saved, chains and plastic gone

Last edited:

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
basically - no one rides it as it is. turn it into a fun pump track with smaller tables, open up the access and have fun
I think what you're suggesting is that some of the whining keyboard jockeys on here should pick up shovels and do something. Lol.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Im up for it

I think what you're suggesting is that some of the whining keyboard jockeys on here should pick up shovels and do something. Lol.
well im up for it but have little knowledge on building jumps, berms and flow. Can build single track with good drainage. I am happy to take direction and do some of the grunt work. What about the neglected jumps at the tennis courts.

atschool

Likes Bikes
I think the council jumps would probably be a more appropriate place for smaller tabletops and pump tracks. There is already a pump track in the greater area, and it isn't too hard to find BMX tracks if you're looking for tabletops.

As it stands, there are very few venues for intermediate and above dirt jumpers in the area which is why jumps like these pop up. I think with a bit of modification (not make the run up so tight etc.), the area could cater for this group of riders a lot better. That said, in my opinion, they should remain as gap jumps as you can maintain a better lip, takes less dirt so you can build more of them and are really just more fun to hit.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I think the council jumps would probably be a more appropriate place for smaller tabletops and pump tracks. There is already a pump track in the greater area, and it isn't too hard to find BMX tracks if you're looking for tabletops.

As it stands, there are very few venues for intermediate and above dirt jumpers in the area which is why jumps like these pop up. I think with a bit of modification (not make the run up so tight etc.), the area could cater for this group of riders a lot better. That said, in my opinion, they should remain as gap jumps as you can maintain a better lip, takes less dirt so you can build more of them and are really just more fun to hit.
are the council jumps the ones near the tennis courts?

atschool

Likes Bikes
are the council jumps the ones near the tennis courts?
Yeah, that's them. There's already 3 pretty mellow gap jumps closest to the tennis courts and there are some rollers next to them which could probably pretty easily be made into tables.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yeah, that's them. There's already 3 pretty mellow gap jumps closest to the tennis courts and there are some rollers next to them which could probably pretty easily be made into tables.
yeah cool mate- we will need some soil and a few hands.

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt

Chained off because they weren't done yet but people get riding them and destroying them*** Almost got it

I keep my trails chained and locked. It's pretty normal for dirt jumps..
The builder is the one putting in all the work, if he doesn't want people riding them, fair enough.

moorey

call me Mia
I keep my trails chained and locked. It's pretty normal for dirt jumps..
The builder is the one putting in all the work, if he doesn't want people riding them, fair enough.
On council land, after demolishing existing popular jumps..... Comparing apples with apples?

moorey

call me Mia
your a fucking poofter mate get some sense into you and understand the dj etiquette.
some people have serious autisim.
Bahaha, you fucking pissant. You may claim to know DJ etiquette, but you clearly suck at life and everything else that matters.
Go back to the hole you came from. I have serious questions, for I am a serious cat. Shoo now.