Is this small buckle fixable?$?$?$?$

matt123

Likes Dirt
ok, so I kinda buckled/warped my rim, is there any chance that a bike shop could fix this? and what kind of price would I be looking at for this miracle to happen?

Also If i decide to ditch the rim would it be alright to use the spokes and hub on a new rim?

Or would it be a better decision to just buy a brand new wheel?

There is a picture below to show how bad it is.......

Last edited:
J

JaRedy

That isnt fixable. That's more like the rim is bent/warped rather then a buckle...

Cost depends, you could just get a new rim and spokes and keep your hub, however add the labour cost ontop of that, and it might appear that buying a whole wheel will end up cheaper.

Paul @ Sydney

Cannon Fodder
Yes

You should try to straighten it - I have seen some good results when you bend them back. Just spend some time and adjust the spoke tension as you go.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whos got the 'Salsa'? Someones got a Taco........

Nice Job. Usually happens with a shit wheel build.........and a crap landing........

AiDeN J

Likes Dirt
Should be $25 at your LBS if you haven't broken any spokes. Take if off the bike and try and slam it against the ground to get it a little bit straighter before you take it in

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
If you do decide to build up a new wheel, the hub should be ok but DO NOT reuse spokes, especially after something like this.

Say, $80-$120 for a new rim, plus 32 or 36 spokes, at a cost of between $1-$2 (roughly, depending on brand), plus labour and you may as well just check out the front rims for sale in the trading area, would work out much more cost effective?

patto_15

Wheel size expert
you can always do the ghetto jump on it, using gutters and other things... Then go to town on it with the spoke key ;)

holdenutes_93

Likes Dirt
That would be fixable if you quickly loosened the tension on that and took it to your LBS, how do I know? Well the same thing happend to me on an older bike and the shop charged me about $25ish from memory, I know it sounds cheap but they fix normal buckles for around $5. But yeah looks like u got a nice rig going so a whole new wheelset if I were you.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From personal experience:

Rim: Mavic x ride , approx 3 years old.

A X country ride , which had a bit of dh in it.

Bailed , ( couldnt stop in time) used a tree to stop !
Rim buckled to the point that it wouldnt spin in forks !!!
Removed it from bike and procceded to stand on rim to straighten it so that it would spin freely!
25 klm from home.
3 spokes (out of 24!) came off hub , still made it home slowly.
LBS straightened the wheel to within 1-2mm of lateral runout.

Granted ,they didnt charge me for work as they couldnt guarantee the wheel integrity BUT , they did straighten it and it still runs true... :D

MORAL : Take the wheel to a REPUITABLE bike shop and see what they say.
Preferably one that you deal with on a regular basis.
You will be amazed what a quality bike mechanic is able to do !!

matt123

Likes Dirt
From personal experience:

MORAL : Take the wheel to a REPUITABLE bike shop and see what they say.
Preferably one that you deal with on a regular basis.
You will be amazed what a quality bike mechanic is able to do !!
All the bike shops around my area are complete rip-offs and my friends have had things stolen from there bikes when serviced at them.

Maybe if I make a trip somewhere I will find a better one and will have a lbs that I can afford to deal with on a regular basis.

Thanks for the ideas guys