Is this a scam?

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, put my V10.5 up on gumtree, got some interest that has turned into a deal. But, things went from sounding 100% legit, to a little scamy. All via text message, here goes, the buyer is in bold.

Hi
What the lowest price u will go ?

Hi, I'd go $5--0 for an easy sale :)

Probably out of my price range , cheer anyway , it's a awesome

Feel free to make an offer, yeah, it's amazing. Crazy light! Only selling as I want a large, other wise there's no way I'd part with it.

$4--0 and plus $200 to ship it to Adelaid3

So $4--0 posted? I'll have a think about it.

Ok all good , I know what the bike is worth , it's a lot money part with

Yeah, it's a lot of bike to part with to ;) I'll get some better photos to you either way.

Hi, could you go to $4--0 plus $200 for postage with pick up from an address in Green fields?

$4--0 and I can the money in right now

Your breaking my balls man! Haha

Ok, let's do it. Can you eft?

Ok, sound good
This is my detail
V--h h---h
1- N-----s crescent ,
burton s.a 5110
0--------5
vin--------.com

Can u post to this address because I work away and is not home , all the time
P-------o
54- S-----y Hwy P----ld Gardens SA 5107

Can I get your detail and bank detail

So is this somehow a scam? With payment via eft I didnt think it could be but I dont like the send it to another location thing and he has listed a different number then what he is texting on. I removed his details to protect his identity, if real

I dont know....I'd love to sell it but this doesnt feel right.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I've always thought there is a market for cod services courier companies could run - as in pay on pick up type.

Anyhow, I refuse to do big transactions like that at all.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I have gear sent to a location other than my own residence all of the time when working away.

Just ask if the second number provided is the person who lives at the provided address rather than his own.

If the cash has hit your bank, where is the risk to you? I don't think you're providing enough of your own personal info for it to be a scam.

It is however a larger cash sale than I've ever been involved with.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I couldn't see how it would be a scam if the money is in my account. Except say the bike hasn't arrived then pursue it through the police?

Questionable English/text spelling it just seems odd. And the number he gave me as his own is different to the number he text me from.

I won't go ahead with a sale I'm not 100% on, but still worth seeing what everyone thinks, mighty save someone later down the track.

Maybe it's legit, maybe not.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Talk to them and get them to collect the bike from someone you know and have them sign a delivery receipt, they can't claim he never got the goods then and pursue action against you to retrieve money.

moorey

call me Mia
The possibility of a scam lies in him paying, you posting it, him receiving the box, saying it was filled with 20kg of bricks, lodging a dispute, and getting his money back and keeping the bricks.... Or am I just overly suspicious of anything on gumtree, particularly with poor English and an expensive item. I wouldn't do it. Your call.

edit. What stupid said. ^

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Just be frank with him if you call. Have a chat about riding, you'll get a pretty good idea straight away if he's legit or not.

Edit - what stupid said X2 ^^

Ackland

chats d'élevage
If he's in Adelaide, ask where he rides....

If he doesn't know much about Eagle, Fox Ck, Kangarilla or the club "Inside Line" then he may not be so legit...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Jesus, can't believe gen y and doing an entire conversation by SMS .

If I were him, I'd be shitting myself - he is carrying all the risk, if it's an eft , no bank will simply reverse it and leave you out in the cold - as long as it's paid into your account, it's yours.

The insurance angle is to post it by delivery signed for, and take a phone video of it packed, then sealed while in the post office, and passed across the counter. There is no way in hell if I were him, would I trust you with $4k just hoping it will be sent.

If scam, then that is still to come, which will be send this amount, or some convoluted story etc - right now, he is taking the risk if he puts money in your account

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
where abouts are you located, how far from Radelaide?..if its a few grand up in the mix, whats a couple of tanks of gas in a road trip.
if you deliver, might be able to bump up the price a little!
Or see if anyone here wants to be a fixer for you!..there is a couple of trustworthy peeps on here that might be willing to help out a brother
GLWS

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've face stalked him, asked some questions and the details all line up.

And yes, it would seem he has all the risk, but if he Googled my details he would see a long list of bike related sales, topics and posts, enough that I would come across a legitimate seller, I assume.

I've bought and sold a few bikes this way, including a $3000 Xc bike, you just need to double check who you are dealing with and all should be fine.

Thanks for your help RBers.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The new thing to do in these cases is to ask for an MMS/email picture showing the buyer/seller with their driver's license clearly visible.