Is there a giant reign in 2014

MTBm8

Likes Bikes
Well said

So many haters, holy shit. Giant make good bikes, what's the big deal.

And the Reign is gone, it was a very outdated bike by todays standards. Steep HA, short TT, qr rear axle. It needed a big redesign. Giant have rejigged their lineup with the standard trance going to 140mm, sitting in the gap between the old trance and reign. And they've released a more burly Trance SX.. which looks like a stiffer, burlier, better bike than the reign.
Yeah well said, I have ridden plenty of bikes but when I spend my own cash its on a Giant for sheer value for money and ride quality. I was looking to get a 2014 Reign but if the Trance is going to be 140mm and the components and geo looks like the business then I am on one. at 175cm I felt to small for the big wheels but did like the momentum and roll over ability so 27.5 will be the best of both worlds imho. Even if its makes 1% difference I have not lost anything.
Just gonna get out and ride it.

davnic74

Likes Bikes
All the bikes I have owned in 3 years of MTB have been Giants and it probably won't change hence my OP.
One thing I see is alot of bagging of Giant and it's not cool to like Giant!
In my limited time on bikes I don't know why that is ?

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
its called tall poppy syndrome.
Aussies always liked the underdog......take that back to the convict era.....if you like.
Gaint do what they like, just like the US Government....Its trendy to not like them. Its like Abba here in the late 70's It became trendy not to like them.

Giant do good value for money bikes. yea they have come up with a few things you think WTF?

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Frustated that last years Trance 29 er 1 retailed for $2599 and now the 27.5 1 is $3399 and your getting less wheel? Not happy! $800 MORE
The new 27.5er 1 has a higher spec level than last year's 29er 1. Hence the price difference.

You really need to read these things first.

valium

Likes Dirt
its called tall poppy syndrome.
Aussies always liked the underdog......take that back to the convict era.....if you like.
Gaint do what they like, just like the US Government....Its trendy to not like them. Its like Abba here in the late 70's It became trendy not to like them.

Giant do good value for money bikes. yea they have come up with a few things you think WTF?
It's not tall poppy syndrome, it's that giants are ubiquitous - everyone likes to think they're unique, different, etc etc, and when you got the same bike as the next guy you don't get that feeling. Obviously the reason that giants are so omnipresent is that they represent great value for money.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
It is funny though how giant aren't the super value proposition in the USA. They position themselves in the US market much like specialized and trek do here- ie on the premium side.

It's so rare for anything to cost less in Australia than the US, that as a result, Aussies are all over it. Seriously, once you've designed a frame, and have the robotics to pump em out - they are dirt cheap, and just as dirt cheap whether they have cannondale, trek, specialized or giant stickers on them.

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
All the bikes I have owned in 3 years of MTB have been Giants and it probably won't change hence my OP.
One thing I see is alot of bagging of Giant and it's not cool to like Giant!
In my limited time on bikes I don't know why that is ?
When you spend a small fortune on a ferrari, and a guy goes past in a Nissan GTR- its easy to hate!!

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
As a multi,multi, multi, multi multi Giant buyer I don't get the anti giant thing.

The absolute only reason two giants don't reside in my garage currently... Giant Australia refuse to import the Trance W1 or have a 160mm slack gravity style trail bike.

If they did I would have bought again.

Chamakazae

Likes Bikes
Rumour says that the Reign's currently being redesigned and will be released mid 2014 ;)

Until then, it'll be the Trance SX and Reign X in the 140-160mm part of the range.

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
interesting to se they've changed the geometry of the Anthem X 27.5 slightly. head angle has gone from 71 to 69.5 but still 71 on the 29er

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
interesting to se they've changed the geometry of the Anthem X 27.5 slightly. head angle has gone from 71 to 69.5 but still 71 on the 29er
Umm, that maybe a misprint, the trance 29er has a head angle of 69.5 on giants site . The anthem is 71 d in the 29er

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
For starters the 29er frames are unchanged. Second, why slacken the head angle on a big-wheeled race bike anyway? Way to make a slug handle even worse.

davnic74

Likes Bikes
The 2014 bikes are now on the US Giant site.
Buggered if I can see the value in the one I'd like, compared to some of the other models.
Not normally worried about aesthetics either, but brown is brown.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.sx.27.5/14834/66295/
Just have to wait and see what models/variations we get here!
A couple I have my eye on but that could change.
Was keen on the 27.5 trance 1 (blue&silver) but price probably out of my range so was wanting the 2 but none listed, only the trance 3?

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
For starters the 29er frames are unchanged. Second, why slacken the head angle on a big-wheeled race bike anyway? Way to make a slug handle even worse.
perhaps you should read my post again & come up with a sensible response.

on the US site. if you check the geometry details of the anthem X 27.5 it has a head angle of 69.5 deg.
but perhaps Pharmboy is right. perhaps it is a typo.

Last edited:

Benn0

Cannon Fodder
Ivanhoe Cycles has just landed 2014 trance, Anthem and XTC models, no sign of a Reign though.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
perhaps you should read my post again & come up with a sensible response.

on the US site. if you check the geometry details of the anthem X 27.5 it has a head angle of 69.5 deg.
but perhaps Pharmboy is right. perhaps it is a typo.
Perhaps you should read my post again. I specifically commented on the 29er frame, which is unchanged from 2013.