Is the Bell Sanction a Safe DH Helmet?

steve17

Squid
Hey all,

I recently purchased a Bell Sanction for DH riding. In comparison to my old 661, it has far better padding and feels very secure and protective on my head.

However, I went to sus out reviews on it and they say it's meant more for slopestyle and BMX and shouldn't be used for DH.

This has me a little worried but also confused. Slopestyle riders fall from a lot higher than DH riders, sure it's to a softer surface but surely it can hold up to DH?

I'm not currently riding that hard, I'm just getting a feel for DH again after 10 years off. However I'll certainty be building back up to You Yangs and Black Hill in the near future.

So I just want to get more opinions on whether or not this helmet is safe and will hold up, or if I should sell it and get something else.

Thanks.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
On the MTB direct site they promote it as a gravity helmet, which includes "shuttle days". I'm rocking a fox proframe for dh trails.

moorey

call me Mia
I think you'll be fine in the Bell. Assuming its got the Aus Safety Standards sticker, no commissaires will give you grief if they happen to check at a race/shuttle day. I recently bought a carbon Fox rampage....mainly coz it was 1/2 price. So much nicer than my old Down-o-matic.
See you at Black Hill and Yoiues...I feel I should know you. Not Rodney M's mate Steve?

steve17

Squid
I think you'll be fine in the Bell. Assuming its got the Aus Safety Standards sticker, no commissaires will give you grief if they happen to check at a race/shuttle day. I recently bought a carbon Fox rampage....mainly coz it was 1/2 price. So much nicer than my old Down-o-matic.
See you at Black Hill and Yoiues...I feel I should know you. Not Rodney M's mate Steve?
Yeah that was another concern, if I feel confident enough to have a crack at VDHS next year I'd want it to pass standards.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah that was another concern, if I feel confident enough to have a crack at VDHS next year I'd want it to pass standards.
Definitely do it. I'm old and slow, moving into super masters. mainly there these days to support my kids racing, but its a great series.
RE helmet again, it will meet the standards if bought in aus. No detachable chin guard helmets permitted for DH racing though.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Definitely do it. I'm old and slow, moving into super masters. mainly there these days to support my kids racing, but its a great series.
RE helmet again, it will meet the standards if bought in aus. No detachable chin guard helmets permitted for DH racing though.
I've never had my helmet checked at a race.

Sent from my SM-G960N using Tapatalk

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Not even the Bell Super DH which is downhill certified?