Is Stromlo reopened yet?

not inspired

Likes Dirt
can't find anything on any websites and was wondering if anyone knows if the full park including the downhill will be back open for riding this weekend? I am hoping this is my last weekend in Canberra before moving to Melbourne and want to get some shuttle runs in before the chaos occurs.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
It wasn't closed - the trails that weren't part of the competition were open the whole time. We rode there Wednesday night (along with half of Canberra) and it was all open. Coming out of the tunnel and heading for Fenceline some people had taken it upon themselves to dismantle part of the temporary fencing, but aside from that there were no issues. All the bunting is gone, and I imagine they've been out dismantling the hoeckers and fencing all week. Don't know for sure about the DH but I'd imagine it should be fine.

Last edited:

not inspired

Likes Dirt
I just rang the stromlo office a bit before you replied and apparently the junior champs is on this weekend and so everything is going to get shut down again if it hasn't been already. Maybe pulling the tempory fencing down was a bad idea.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
It's road champs this weekend - aside from the car park being full of roadies and the crit track being off limits the rest of the park will be unaffected. You'll just have to negotiate the lolly pop people on the way in.

The fence crossed the main trunk trail 100m from the main trail head - it HAD to come down.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
It's open except for the bits that are closed (for the Road Champs - it's there under Major Events).
Just go ride, and unless you want to ride the tar, you'll be fine :)

niftydog

Likes Dirt
do you have links for that cause I just rang the territory events people again and they said it was the whole park.
That sounds like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about looking at the website and making an assumption.

Just because there's a booking this weekend doesn't mean the entire site is closed to the public. Trust me - aside from the car park being nearly full it will be just like any other weekend.

I have no links to back that up, I'm just going from previous experience ...and if I'm wrong you can ewhip me on Monday! :eek:

Last edited:

the_beast

Likes Dirt
I rode stromlo tonight and everything can be ridden, aparts for some blue fencing and some grandstands pretty much everything is gone.

Ezreal2001

Likes Bikes
I rode stromlo tonight and everything can be ridden, aparts for some blue fencing and some grandstands pretty much everything is gone.
Is the bottom of Rascles still blocked? Was there yesterday and had to detour to avoid the some blue fence.

OTH Good work to all those involved in the clean up and any one know if the PTBs plan on remediating the pond forming in one of the berms?

WildWassa

Banned
I was at Stromlo this morning. Do you remember when Cardiac Climb looked like this? ... not often ridden.

The landscape at the Hammerhead at the top of the climb has been trampled to being a waste land.

All of the blue fence is still there but even the mature plants and grasses are gone ... except for broken off tree stumps or knocked over small trees.

The low metal fences were being stacked and the seating was being hoisted onto flat beds this morning. There is still a lot to be done.

I was most surprised how totally litter free the park is. Not one bit of litter did I see except for an official plastic laminated paper sign saying "No Public Access," that was blowing around Old Duffy Descent. I liked the irony of this.

At Cadaver Corner the corner is twice the normal width now. The new line is no longer over the rocks but now down through the grass (on the right) ... now made mud.
Few will be riding the climb now, so hopefully it will be not too long before the climb looks like this again ... the old descent of Cadaver Corner.

It was good doing a lap of Loop 5 this morning, less 'The Fang' and the 'Feeding Ground' ... with only a couple of other riders on other tracks well off in the distance, Stromlo felt at her mid-week best ... people free.

Warren.

Last edited:

the head

Likes Bikes
Great snaps yet again Warren. Hopefully a bit of rain will see Stromlo's landscape blooming soon.

1st race of the Summer series this weekend on LBG. Sunday afternoon could see some good breeze.

WildWassa

Banned
The first race of the summer series ... hey? I have to pay for my new bike, which I bought last week, so I'm working. After talking to Adam Craig and Carl Decker, I bought an Anthem. Brand loyalty to Giant from On'ya bike.

Have a good sail, may there be no collisions.

Warren.

Last edited:

WildWassa

Banned
triples, thank you Mate. I'm pleased that you like the images.

A Canon 40D ... with a 17-85mm lens, for the shots above.

Warren.

Last edited:

Commecnalrider

Likes Dirt
I dont think that anything beats a good ride at stromlo, especially when no-one is there. You can go as fast or as slow as you like, and ride the 4x track without the need to dodge little kids riding up the track. :)

I'm guessing stromlo is now void of evidence that worlds was there. Stromlo is such a great place to ride.