Is my cassette broken?

No Judge

Likes Dirt
As I was cleaning my bike this afternoon, I noticed that one of the teeth on one of the cogs on my rear cassette had completely broken off. Just the single tooth, and the rest of the cog seemed pretty much intact.

I don't really have any idea how long ago or how this happened, but I am pretty sure that I've only ridden with the broken tooth couple of times - purely working on the last time I cleaned it and didn't notice it then. I can't even think of how it would have happened...

My question is, is my cassette broken and needs to be replaced? Or, can I just replace the cog and it will be ok?

For reference, its a SRAM 9 speed - not sure of specifics, but I can find out when it's not so dark and cold outside...

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You might have more luck in the parts'n'stuff section next time, probably not worth going and making another post now, it'll get answered soon enough here with no harm done.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate - if it's still changing gears properly than don't bother. Replacing a single cog - prob not even possible unless you have a spare cassette and it is one of the 3 high gears (harder ones), will be probably be more problematic, as the ware profile on the teeth won't match your chain...

So if it's changing fine and not skipping whilst pedalling, leave it. Although if teeth have started to snap then the cassette is probably getting along abit.

Post up a close up photo of the clean cassette - then we can have a closer look at the teeth. When the cassette is getting too worn, apart from the bad performance, you can see burrs on the teeth, and the teeth have cresents worn into them on their push sides...

psykosonik

Likes Dirt
broken tooth probably due to chain being crossed over wrong gearing with alot of force while chaing gears?

I dont think it will cause any harm to ride with a missing tooth, hopefully its not the one with the notch in it to assist in a gear change. Find out what model cassette you have since some of the sram cassettes you might be able to find/replace the single ring.

You can repalce the cassette quite easily if you have the right tools. (Chain whips and the cassette socket)

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can replace a cog, but it would probably involve breaking up another cassette. If you're lucky your LBS might be able to help though. Chances are the wear will be different and it might not shift or engage as well, and can cause problems. If you've only just noticed it and it works fine then I'd leave it be.

If you replace the cassette you may have to delve into chain and chain ring replacement as well depending on how worn everything is.

floz

Likes Dirt
I have snapped a tooth off the 14t cog 4 years ago on a cassette that was only a couple of months old. Took it into the LBS and they replaced the entire cassette no questions asked.

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Thanks Elliot, yeah I probably should have...

The cassette changed ok last time I rode, however it did skip at least once that I can remember. But I have had issues with misaligned jockey wheels and derailler so I just assumed that that was the cause.

The bike is maybe 2 or 2 1/2 years old, but its not a ride-every-weekend bike.

Hopefully the photos work, I found it hard to focus so close while still being close enough to show detail..

Attachments