international races

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It also in practice gives you an idea how far ahead or behind the next rider is.
Used in National rounds and State rounds from what i've seen.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I always though it was just a cycling tradition to make a bit of noise and make things more exciting. because lets be serious, nothing gets me going like a rediculas horn.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I always though it was just a cycling tradition to make a bit of noise and make things more exciting. because lets be serious, nothing gets me going like a rediculas horn.
or a nice solid cowbell if you are riding in the alps (swiss/italian/french/austrian - not so much in the australian)

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
hey just a question does anyone know what those whistles are for in the international races just curious
Here is the gospel... From the UCI Marshal's handbook.

XCO Races. Blow you whistle when a rider approaches. This includes the lead Motor Bike. You should blow your whistle to alert spectators and other marshals.

DHI Races. Blow your whistle when a rider approaches. If two or more riders are arriving together, blow your whistle in short sharp blasts the same number of times corresponding to the number of riders approaching.

4X Races. The whistle is only used if there is a crash and the rider or bike is blocking the course or the rider cannot get up immediately.

In all races, the whistle is also blown in the event of a crash where the rider or their bike is blocking the track, again, to alert other riders.