Injuries. What's your story?

Markee

Likes Dirt
Collarbones - twice each, now they're titanium.
KO'd - went OTB when someone crashed in front of me and nowhere to go.
ACL complete tear right knee, now has Bungy cord there instead aka LARS Ligament.
All the above done racing my Supermoto over the last 5 years.

Just turned 40 and bought a Remedy 8 lets see what it brings.

So last night I christened the Remedy and lost a helmet and a front brake in the process on the Yarra Trails. Bruised and scratches everywhere and a nice whack to the head after a tree jumped out in front of me!

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Femur is impressive! Usually they they only really happen in car accidents in healthy people. Must have done a good job of it!
It was in my bicycle messenger days, a 4x4 drove through me, the bullbar was what broke it I think. I was on a MTB so it counts!

my own personal lamb chop
Yeah, this certainly wins. I bet you mum was pissed when she saw this!

If anyone on RB has Teratophilia they probably wacked off while looking at your pic.

IMG_1682 - SM.JPG
Staying on the topic of wacking off, hopefully your not a right hander, when your bored in the hospital late at night the external fixation frame is going to get in the way.

How did you break your scapula?
I landed on my elbow and broke mine through the spine.
It confused the docs at the time as there wasn't a mark on my shoulder
OTB at speed, I think I landed on the upper arm pressed into the side of my body, clavicle broke as well in that one, it was cracked through the spine but still stable, avioded surgery.

Last edited:

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
So last night I christened the Remedy and lost a helmet and a front brake in the process on the Yarra Trails. Bruised and scratches everywhere and a nice whack to the head after a tree jumped out in front of me!
And the bigger they are the quicker they jump!

XLim

Squid
...but the worse part

Left shoulder AC Joint about 2 months ago.

Gave it 4 weeks and decided to start getting back into it. Wife tells me not to injure myself again before heading out. Felt ok, until I landed awkwardly on a table top transition down, over the bars straight back onto the same left shoulder, head first into a tree. Second time hurt like hell!

First thing I checked was my shoulder then my bike ... haha us guys have our priorities I guess! Whited out a little with the knock to the head.

So 6 weeks back in a sling with an even worse left AC Joint sprain ...but the worse part ... the "I told you so" look from the Mrs!

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Had a bit of a whoopsie at Mt Buller on the weekend. Bit of a long winded yarn.

First run down Delatite I had a tyre puncture, something big enough to put a 5c piece into the casing, unfortunetly this happened at a time when I had already committed to a high speed and steep corner, I road off the track according to strava at 44km per hour, over the bars with a 2-2.5 meter drop.

Absolutely massive crash for me, instant loss of breath cant move or speak for a bit, but otherwise feel pretty good. Dodged a bullet on that one!

Continued riding for the day also road the epic trail (wasn't overally impressed), but I was having a bit of rib pain, figured I'd probably twinged them. Was also having trouble breathing on extertion, I had to walk all uphills (quite slowly), but I got my days riding done that we had planned, not pleasant but done.

Drove home that night and I wasn't struggling per sae, but I wasn't exactly feeling chipper, bads not sleep and sunday morning sexy time the mrs pressed onto my ribs and ouch were they sore, still got bussiness done.

Went out for lunch, promised mrs that I'd swing by ED on the way home.

Went into ED at 4pm, waited 4 hours to be seen (which is well within acceptable limits in Vic), triage nurse and Doc didn't seem to think much was wrong. I Was going to be sent hone and I requested xrays as the pain and breathing where both worsesing, doc finally agreed and called an on call radiologist in (small hospital).

While xrays done, was chatting you friending young radiologist and suddenly she got quiet and more serious, didn't notice this at the time.

Back in waiting cubile pondering what I might get for dinner on the way home, Doc and 2 nurses enter with wheelchair, I was told to get in wheel chair and they explain on the way.

The hospital does have a surgical ward, but not open on weekends, so I was stationed in the middle of ED with staff there helping others get gowns on and equipment ready.

I was quite bewildered and at this piont getting REALLY stressed.

My diagnosis was mutliple rib fractures, a collapsed right lung and a high risk cardiac arrest shortly due to heart failure (my blood pressure, from stress, was now about 240 / 110), the cardio thoracic consultant on the phone had told them I can't be transferred because of the risks involved, do the surgery now.

I am a tolerant man for pain, but the surgery to have a tube jammed into my plural sack to get the pressure out to allow the lung to re-expand and take pressure off the heart... it was very unpleasant, I'd perhaps have preferred the cardio thoracic surgery over the general ED physician to have done this procedure, but at this stage I was just hoping to see my kid again.

After surgery got a short few minutes to see the Mrs and Son, was off my face of what ever they gave me, put into an ambulence and sent to a bigger hospital, very uncomfortable with a tube rubbing on the lungs.

Cardiac thoracic surgeon was waiting on arrival, she was really good rechecked everything and had time to explain a few things, I was particularly interested why I was attached to a bubbling fishtank.

Spent the last 4 days in hopital, after reading the referral the trauma surgeon decided to to listen to anything I had to say regarding symptions and I had several brain, abdomen and limb CT's along with regular chest xrays to confirm lungs expanded and stayed expanded.

I am home now, off my face apparently (I feel normal) and won't be going back to work anytime soon.

Now for the moral of the story:

If you have a crash thats bigger than normal - GO TO FUCKEN HOSPITAL! this shit aint worth dying for, don't tolerate the pain or discomfort becuase you can.

The last thing I thought of as my pusle dropped into the 30's and alarms and shit where going off, people in gowns looking very stressed and everything got hazy, was my son.

Our public health system not perfect, but after working in it and using the pionty end, I think it's awesome, the Dr's, surgeons, radiologists, orderlys and especially the nurses - thankyou.

ppierce

Likes Bikes
That is some serious shit.... I was up there on Saturdy as well for the first time...
All the best with the recovery .

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
If you have a crash thats bigger than normal - GO TO FUCKEN HOSPITAL! this shit aint worth dying for, don't tolerate the pain or discomfort becuase you can.
That is so true after mine I was thinking yeah it hurts but I can live with it. But after repeated pressure from the family got checked out found I had done damage that needed a surgeon to fix and need to let tendons repair before surgery. I now have some weird leg brace I have to wear no sport for a year and after a month I miss my bike . :(
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418978584.798019.jpg
If I get another one of these with my fox Titan upper body armour I can be a robot next Halloween I guess.

moorey

call me Mia
Fuck, MWI, that's rough.:faint: My brother did similar on a moto crash recently, but refused to go to hossie coz he's a macho wanker. 4 days later, he was gray, couldn't breathe, but was still going to work. He was finally too weak to stand, so his wife's lugged him to hossie...to be told he was about 15 minutes from death. A few months later, he's mostly recovered, but the dumb fuck would rather have died than admitted he was injured.
Get well mate.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
RE MWI - FUCCCCK ive now decided im never going to rid above 25kph ... until i forget this story :-(.

now everytime i have a little stack and get a little winded i'll think my lungs are collapsing and shit myself :(:(:(

get well soooon!

nathanm

Eats Squid
Heal up soon MWI. sounds pretty bloody epic and man you must be one tough SOB to not go straight to hospital after those injuries.

Though the upside is a LTIL, MWI posting whilst off his face on a variety of drugs, the spelling and grammar mistakes are a tell tale sign.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
heal seeon, and well, MWI. that sounds very nasty.

not MTB, but BMX related...

2 x concussions
2 x partially separated right AC
1x partially separated right sternoclavicular
5 x cracked ribs in three separate stacks
1 x spare rib (i have an odd extra pair) snapped clean off
bruises and scrapes too numerous to mention - i've left skin on at least five different tracks
jammed left shoulder socket and bruises that covered my entire left thigh

and the best so far was last State Titles in February. Two left hand broken metacarpals and a dislocated knuckle, two liver lacerations, bruised diaphram and adrenal laceration, four days in hospital, two temporary pins that they put through my tendons resulting in another surgery six months later.

i still can't make a proper fist and i've had eight months off racing.

Last edited:

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some crazy tales here, wow. The scariest thing is that with most, people are able to walk away and only find out later how serious it is. I would have expected the opposite.

The biggest deterrent for me in getting checked out is the ridiculous wait times you encounter. Wish there was some way around this. Thankfully no mtb-related stories from me, my worst was from playing paintball of all things lol (broken fibula and a few ankle bones).

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Some crazy tales here, wow. The scariest thing is that with most, people are able to walk away and only find out later how serious it is. I would have expected the opposite.

The biggest deterrent for me in getting checked out is the ridiculous wait times you encounter. Wish there was some way around this. Thankfully no mtb-related stories from me, my worst was from playing paintball of all things lol (broken fibula and a few ankle bones).
Put the waits down to all the hysterical mums and dead beats who turn up for the mildest ailment.

If you arrive in A&E looking grey and asking for a vomit cup they know you are in proper pain and will bump you up - as long as the vomit risk isn't because you are drunk in which case fuck off and take a number. The place is there to save lives and serious injuries, and unfortunately when they put enough staff on and have enough beds, it teaches the not so sick to turn up

Jesus MWI - you stupid bastard! Going to have to lock this page so my missus doesn't see it. Anyway, safer than being a roadie