information on starting dh in victoria

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey, i will be starting dh racing as soon as the next vic dh series stars. i have a bike and i need to no what gear is good to get. aslo how much does its cost for fees,plates ect. and how do u sign up.
does anyone no roughly wen it is starting
thanks guys:)

jackmac91

Likes Dirt
Well for a start your going to need a fullface, and armor is very important to..
You can usually sign up on the day and prices change depending on the particular race your entering...
I have been out of the racing seen for quite some time now so thats about all the help I can give sorry...

Duff_Man

Likes Dirt
I would say the best place for you to start would be to come out to long gully next weekend, being the 18th of may, and check it out. It is the end of the state series, so this time at long gully it is just a more of a ride day and that.

Club membership, which gives you your mtba race license (which you need to race, you can by day license if you want, cost around $15.00) - generally between $70 - $100.

Race entry - normally around $70 to $100 per race (have to pay $10 for race plate, but you keep it for the season)

Gear - best things to have would be a pair of 5-10 shoes, cost around $150+, pair of gloves $50, knee and shin or just knee guards - cost around $100+, depends on what you for. Full face helmet - heaps out there depends on how much you want to spend - troylee, giro, 661, the etc cost around $200 - $600, and that would be all you would need really.

S.

ex offender
can somebody please give me some info as i need it
Don't expect answers within 15 minutes mate, this is an internet forum not a phone call.

What you need:
- A safe bike. This means it must have good working brakes and bar end plugs for starters.
- A full-face helmet. Also highly recommended are goggles, gloves, shinnies, and if you've got the money, proper riding shorts (Fox, Troy Lee etc - they're heavy nylon that helps protect your thighs when you crash) and upper body armour (elbow pads, or a full upper-body jacket a la 661 Pressure Suit). Don't skimp on protective gear - a new stem or something like that for your bike won't be anywhere near as much use to you as the same money put towards protecting yourself.
- Ambulance cover (and private health cover too preferably). If you don't have this, get it, otherwise you could be looking at thousands of dollars worth of ambulance rides if you injure yourself.

Race entry usually costs between $70-100 per race, and you must have a valid MTBA licence (these cost about $100 for a year typically, check http://www.ftf.com.au/membership/?IntCatId=2 for example). If you don't have a yearly licence, you can buy a day licence at each event, which costs you $15 but is only valid for that event. Obviously if you're doing more than 6 events in a year (races or official ride days) it's worth getting a yearly licence (these are valid for races anywhere in Aus including national rounds).

The next Vic state series will probably start about October, but details aren't finalised yet as far as I know. There will be some races and probably also ride days held somewhere in the meantime however (King of Ballarat series for starters). Usually you pay about $10-20 for your numberplate/registration for the state series itself, which you do at the first race of the series that you turn up to, then pay the race entry fee at each race. With the possible exception of the national championships, you can do everything by turning up on the day of the race - you don't need to pre-register or anything like that, though it can be cheaper to do so (particularly for nationals).

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
kool as. wat is happening at long gully? i wen to the youies a couple of weeks ago so i no how the system runs i was just unsure of the races fee and stuff like that

Howie66

Likes Dirt
Hey..

While we are on the subject, is it compulsory to wear shorts/mtb pants and top?

When i ride i usually have my trackies and hoodie or long sleeve shirt (3 sizes to big), with all my gear/ armour etc underneath

Is it compulsory to have proper riding shorts/pants and top?

I was lookin for some cheap on ebay, but all I could find was Motorcross pants, which finish halfway up my shin, MotorX riders have boots which they tuck them into.

So what should I do?

Do many ppl just turn up and race in whatever, as long as they have their protective gear doesnt it matter?

Howie

PS: Ben it will be my first season too mate, so great thread to start! What division are you thinking of starting in?

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ey howie. for gear to wear im just wearing a jersey, and moto pants and if it hot just some shorts then protection. im 14 and ill be in the hardtail catogory so i can cant some skill up and learn a bit more then by 16 ill move in a dual wen i got some skill going. what bout u ?

Last edited:

LBizzle

Likes Dirt
As the state DH series has just finished the next will be towards the end of this year I’m pretty sure. But when day light savings kicks in Thursday night ride nights at long gully will come back on and they are always a great night.

As for gear you don't need proper pants but a jersey is compulsory as is a full face and bar ends.

But this Sunday coming is as a few people have pointed out is a presentation day at Long Gully which starts at 10am and finishes at late evening. Entry fee is $20+$10 for a day licence (if needed) and there will be a BBQ all day and drinks and they will hold a few free fun races like Dual Slalom and there will be shuttles most of the day. Long Gully is always a good place to start.

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just like gear wen races happen, cost all that stuff?
well every one has pretty much already answered that,

races cost between 70 - 100 a race plus a day licance which is $15 a race or a yearly membership which is around 70 - 100 and a number plate $10 for a season

the next state series will start in around OCT this year however there are some races in ballarat over winter they are push up (no transport) on short tracks these are normally very cheap races but i don't know exact prices (www.clubmud.com.au for more info)

gear: as above
the only two things you HAVE to have are a full face helmet and bar end plugs, everything else is highly recommended

a safe working bike ie brakes work well and bar end plugs are must
amour, full face helmet, gloves, shin / knee pads

Howie66

Likes Dirt
Bar ends?

What sort of bar ends?

I dont use bar ends, they get caught on trees etc, i hate them

Why do i have to use them?

Howie

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bar ends?

What sort of bar ends?

Howie
Safety, They only add like an extra 5mm on the end of the bars they don't make any difference at all. Say if you crashed and you got impaled on the end of your bars, bar ends would prevent that. They look cool to, IMO.

Howie66

Likes Dirt
Oh we not talking the big XC ones then.. Lol cool

Got a close-up pic of them so i know what im looking for?

How much do they retail for?

Howie.

S.

ex offender
just like gear wen races happen, cost all that stuff?
Already been answered dude. Several times in fact. If you want specific information you need to ask for it, we can't read your mind.

As for gear you don't need proper pants but a jersey is compulsory as is a full face and bar ends.
Jerseys are NOT compulsory. Maybe you're thinking of BMX racing where you have to cover pretty much all exposed skin (ie long pants and long sleeve jersey) but that is certainly not true for DH racing.

Bar ends?

What sort of bar ends?

Howie
Nah just the end plugs for your handlebars so that you can't cookie-cutter a circle out of your flesh.

Howie66

Likes Dirt
Oh them

Yeah already got them

I thought he was talking about them long, gay-ass XC ones that are really good for catching trees..

S.

ex offender
Oh them

Yeah already got them

I thought he was talking about them long, gay-ass XC ones that are really good for catching trees..
Ah shit no, those things are deathtraps on a DH bike! Watch the homophobic terms though please, calling stuff "gay" as some kind of derogatory comment is not acceptable on Farkin.