Indoor Trainer

749dark

Likes Dirt
With all of this shit weather in Sydney, it's becoming abit of a problem getting out there training so i'm thinking of getting an indoor trainer.

I've seen those that are almost like a chassis dyno for a car where you are riding your bike as if on the road.

Anyone know any details about these?

Thanks

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep - rollers. The front roller is driven via a belt from the rear rollers, which are driven by you pedalling. The challenge is to ride and balance at the same time - requiring good core strength and balance, which a normal type trainer doesn't.

Certainly a learnt ability to use, many a serious cyclist has looked like an absolute gumby the first couple of times.

Challenging to say the least.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Minoura gear is pretty good. Any decent bike shop should be able to order one from Bikesportz for you. Price? No idea.

Or sus out some of the roadie forums, you might pick up something second hand.

ETSX

Likes Dirt
Only problem with rollers is that they don't have a huge amount of resistance. If you want resistance get a fluid trainer it is more road relistic, I have a Kurt kinetic and it is great.
Rollers are good for balance and warming up, but you can't build a huge amount of power from them. So make sure it is really what you want.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Only problem with rollers is that they don't have a huge amount of resistance. If you want resistance get a fluid trainer it is more road relistic, I have a Kurt kinetic and it is great.
Rollers are good for balance and warming up, but you can't build a huge amount of power from them. So make sure it is really what you want.
+1 for the Kurt Kinetic. I have the Road Machine and very happy with it.

bazza

look at me
check out the latest edition of bicyling australias road magazine. it has a HUGE review of trainers, from basic magnetics through to the high end fluid based trainers. gives good info and a range of prices. also has some good exercises for lower back pains.

my value for money pick would be the Jet Black Fluid trainer if you after something decent!

gixer7

Likes Dirt
So you can still use them with an mtb just need slicks? Hrm sounds like a silly question but would just like to make sure!
Not such a silly question (I asked it myself) but yes you can use them with 26" wheels. My old mtb commuter worth maybe $200 is currently setup permanently on my tainer and works a treat.

davzab

Likes Dirt
Resistance trainers

A resistance trainer would be the go alex, giving you the ability to adjust the settings and do different things such as high resistance work, sprints or just spinning. I've got a magnetic resistance one and it does a good job and you can give yourself a decent workout in an hour. just remember your sweat doesn't blow away like on the bike so keep a towel handy!;)

Only draw backs are that it does still wear the rear tire, but would be doing the same on the road anyway, and it's no where near as fun as training on the road or trail but if you still want to train then there great..

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
c

my value for money pick would be the Jet Black Fluid trainer if you after something decent!
How did this rate in the mag?
I just bought one of these in preparation of a wet weekend, (which didn't happen.)
I used to have a Minoura Mag rim trainer which was fairly good. The tension wasn't that great though and it looked like there was no decent way to tension it without pulling the thing apart.

http://www.pro-am.com.au/Bargains/Bargains.htm

Last edited:

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
I actually bought a spin bike as its quieter and no need to get your bike on and off, mine cost me 600 bucks with a 20kg fly wheel. You can watch TV without having people yell at you to stop making noise.

bazza

look at me
How did this rate in the mag?
I just bought one of these in preparation of a wet weekend, (which didn't happen.)
I used to have a Minoura Mag rim trainer which was fairly good. The tension wasn't that great though and it looked like there was no decent way to tension it without pulling the thing apart.

http://www.pro-am.com.au/Bargains/Bargains.htm
the jet black fluid rated really well.

that price on that website for one is fantastic as well!

it was one of the quietest tested and the only negative was its weight, which is really a non-issue with trainers. the RavX mat seemed like a good idea as well for taking away the sound. would a yoga/gym mat work the same?