Improving HRM performance

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have played around with my new Polar Bluetooth HRM belt lately, trying to use with with Nokia's Sports Tracker.
Unfortunately it's not working as well as I'd like, and I'm guessing this is due to poor pickup more than anything else. I'm a bit chubby so the belt likes to creep down a bit. Another thing I was thinking is that it's always pretty cold when I'm riding and I'm not sweating much either so there's little in the way of conductivity. So...
Are there conductive gels readily available to help with the latter? I know they're out there for medical use, but how would one purchase such a thing easily?

And for the squishy ones (ie, me), is running the belt tighter going to help? It just feels like it creeps down more... almost need shoulder straps for it :rolleyes:

mushroom

Likes Dirt
Might be a bit of a stupid question, but do you apply a bit of water under the chest strap when you put it on? My mates that use heart rate monitors tend to do this as the put it on to help with the conductivity when you're not sweating yet.

Tenpoints

Likes Dirt
Have you tried running the strap under warm water before you put it on? I find that works well to get it reading properly right off the bat, though I sometimes find that wind flapping the jersey about causes inaccurately high readings.

As for the fit; try tightening it, but you don't want it constricting your breathing of course. There's a balance to be had. I find that I shorten the strap so it feels tight(ish) on my chest, but once I start riding I don't really notice it.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep I wet it before riding, and it picks up fine... but signal usually cuts out about 5-10mins in and the phone software won't pick it up again :rolleyes:
That's why I'm thinking a gel, which won't dry out, would work. Haven't been on the bike the past couple of weeks but will see how I go riding the next couple of days, might have to experiment with a few things.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
I think you could easily get the gels from a hgh end sports store - they are used with things like 'tens' machines. Look at physio-therapy supplies shops.

Not sure that is gonna solve your problem though.

I wonder whether a really (Tom Selleck style) hariy chest makes a difference? If you are sporting a chest rug, perhaps get some hair remover cream and a house paint-brush and paint a strip horizontally across your chest - the benfits would be two fold.
The strap would pick-up direct from the skin, and it would also have a 'groove' to sit in on your chest.
Sweet!

Personally, I just lick the back of mine beofre every ride, and have never had a problem.

vogmae

Likes Dirt
The gels they use for ultrasounds are what you need. Not sure where you get it from or what it is exactly. I'd imagine asking in a pharmacy would solve it. I haven't used a polar for a long time but always found them to be very reliable in terms of holding a signal, unless I went near major electricity sources in which case my HR would usually jump to 220 or 280! My strap also often slipped down a bit but that didn't seem to matter.

One thing I did find on the newer design straps is that it started to stop working/drop out. Doing a search I saw that there were problems with the new press studs corroding and so had to get new strap. The new strap had very explicit instructions about how to avoid this, which the first one (that came with the CS 200) did not have, so I reckon this problem turned up in use. (The instructions were more specific than the generic Polar 'do not store wet, or airtight' that they used to have.)

Quick Google: this explains what gel to use (and not use), care explanation for the belt is here (for my first one I always left one part of the transmitter connected to the belt, for the new one - though I use a Garmin now - I removed it and washed the lot regularly). So check the connectors...

Apart from that, of course you've got the battery. I found pursuit performance good for servicing, btw. (And am I the only one who think an international advertising campaign that features Valverde with the slogan "What's his secret?" to be um, dumb given the allegations surrounding him??)

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
I'm not familiar with your bluetooth setup but it is odd that it works fine and then stops, usually it's hard to get going if anything. Have you tried the same Bluetooth HRM belt with another Nokia or device just to make sure it's the belt that's playing up?

Might be a stupid question but Nokia not switching itself off or sleeping is it?

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
I wonder whether a really (Tom Selleck style) hariy chest makes a difference?
Nope.
Im Italian and feel I am more than equipped to reply to this suggestion.
I have a Polar HRM and the wog mane doesnt affect the signal at all :)

Mark!!

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Blah blah blah... Heart rate monitors... Blah blah blah
The best way to fix a heart rate monitor is with a little bit of 'harden-up' gel. Remove heart rate monitor, apply gel, and go for a ride. :p

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But if the HRM worked I'd be more inclined to ride :rolleyes:

Tried tightening it today, ouch. Taped the phone to my stem to see if it was a pickup issue - which it shouldn't be 'cause bluetooth works from accross the room usually. Anyway, the HRM worked for the full 35min commute. Will try again tomorrow with phone in my bag and see what happens.

Now to get the GPS receiving properly :mad: