Importing more than Au$1k of bike stuff...

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Has anyone had issues with customs regarding bike stuff that comes in big boxes?

I recently won LED Lenser I need for work (and I got it cheap too!) from overseas and it's being held by customs. Chances are, they're holding it cause they couldn't believe the value that I paid for it, and they think I'm rorting the system.

What about bike stuff? What if I had my frame imported/fixed by manufacturers in Canada/Taiwan?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone had issues with customs regarding bike stuff that comes in big boxes?

I recently won LED Lenser I need for work (and I got it cheap too!) from overseas and it's being held by customs. Chances are, they're holding it cause they couldn't believe the value that I paid for it, and they think I'm rorting the system.

What about bike stuff? What if I had my frame imported/fixed by manufacturers in Canada/Taiwan?
I don't get it? Are you asking about orders over 1k or really cheap bargains? Confuzzled?

Re customs; ring them. DO NOT wait for them to send you a letter. I had this issue with them recently - my parcel arrived in Aus at the start of March and they didn't send me a letter until the middle of June. When I rang them after I got the letter, I complained about how long it took and the chick said "If you knew it was here, why didn't you call?"

Re frames; I've brought in three from overseas with no issues. Two were over 1k and one was under.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Wellsey,

were you hit duty on the frames over $1k? I note Jensen has Element carbon 2012 frames on spesh for $1800 atm

landy_man

Likes Dirt
you wont pay duty or gst if it is a repair and is being sent as a re-import and clearly marked as such..

call customs.. they are not scary and you may find they are actually quite reasonable..

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wellsey,

were you hit duty on the frames over $1k? I note Jensen has Element carbon 2012 frames on spesh for $1800 atm
@ Boxer, no I wasn't slugged with duty, however one of my riding mates was hit on an order over 2k. I can find out more details if you are interested.

you wont pay duty or gst if it is a repair and is being sent as a re-import and clearly marked as such..

call customs.. they are not scary and you may find they are actually quite reasonable..
+1 for this, just ring them. Although I've always had to call them in negative circumstances, they have always been good to deal with, even if I didn't get what I wanted.