I'm So Proud!

Bermshot

Banned
My son and I had our first BIG ride together, he could'nt ride up all the hills but there was no whining. I told him about the MagPie attack and when it didn't attack, wobbling down the road he asks "wheres the magpie dad"? Of course on the way back it attacks once and I get targeted.

Just before he finished his 8k ride/run he also had his first big stack, trying to copy dad, 'runing before he can walk; so after a bit of bark missing and a chuckle he jumped straight back on and talked my ear off all the way home.

rone

Eats Squid
Everyone tells me to "make the most of it now because they grow up so fast" but I can't wait to go on the first big ride with my sons.

Congrats, Bermshot. May it be the first of many.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Agreed, congrates. I have yet to experince this as a dad, but I got a similar feeling as an uncle taking my nephew around a decent single track. He never once crashed.:D

I was really pumped when I was teaching his sister how to surf before christmas and she stood up, trimmed along the wave for a good 10 - 15 seconds. Best bit was I got it all on the GoPro video for her parents to see.:cool:

indica

Serial flasher
Nice one!
The wife and the kids (daughter 8, son 6) regularly go on 5 to 8 k rides on the dirt and have a ball. Recently both have crashed without crying.

The little man does everything I do - foot out around corners etc, he's nuts.
But we knew when he did this it was on.

[video=youtube;XeQukvhQVtE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeQukvhQVtE[/video]

Whitie

Likes Dirt
Mad boy child

Just watching that clip makes me think of my youngest. For those of you who follow the Vic DH series all know "my Oskar' he was the youngest downhiller at age 8 last year.

He started off on one of those plastic three wheeler trikes and reckons he's gonna be riding the "pro circuit"and won't need a job!!!!:cool:

If only I had footage of him back then - mind you he's just as fearless on a scooter dropping into the 8 footer and clearing the spine in to the 6 footer at the local skate bowl.

As you know he can put a lot of us oldies to shame.:) But he does complain pushing up - when you compare he only weighs about 35kgs and his bike weighs 17 he does have just cause (but pros get shuttled mum).

Enjoy the riding as a family and I'm sure my boys will order a bungee cord for me (but will it work when we ride DH too)

See you all in a few weeks.:)

dunndog

Eats Squid
Awesome Indica! Plastic Tricycle Massive! My boy turns 1 in a couple weeks, Charlie 'the future of downhill' Dunn. Remember that name folks..

darryl

Likes Dirt
My 6 yo son, and i shared that first dirt ride together only a week ago also. It was muddy, and crap conditions here in bris - but you just can't refuse when they wait all day and get ready like 2 hours before you go.

A few little slips due to the wet logs - the usual. But the smile goes for days.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Congratulations Bermshot.
The first ride is awesome and after that it just gets better and better as their skills develop.

[video=youtube;COfBflW-c8E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COfBflW-c8E[/video]

This is my boy, Harper; he has been riding for nearly six months.

Last edited:

Bermshot

Banned
Boy and I went for ride at Cabbage Tree (Nowra) the other day and he was a bit tentative after his pretty heavy stack the week before. With a bit coaxing he gave all the smaller log rollovers a go but he couldn't win a trick the poor fella, all the obstacles he had a go at came unstuck, and one them was an over the bars! no injuries except for my heart palps.

Think he should ride his own style for a while without dads enlightened riding knowledge?

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Boy and I went for ride at Cabbage Tree (Nowra) the other day and he was a bit tentative after his pretty heavy stack the week before. With a bit coaxing he gave all the smaller log rollovers a go but he couldn't win a trick the poor fella, all the obstacles he had a go at came unstuck, and one them was an over the bars! no injuries except for my heart palps.

Think he should ride his own style for a while without dads enlightened riding knowledge?
Maybe you guys should hit up some easy trails for the next couple of rides to build up his confidence again. Sometimes the hardest thing is just to back off and let them do their own thing (which is just what they need to do).

Norco Maniac

Is back!
your boy will remember forever the rides he did with his dad. farking awesome, parenting WIN.

(my lot were sitting at the start hill cheering me on for my first States, BEST day of my life. go mum are the sweetest words ever uttered.)

Bermshot

Banned
A bit retro now but pic of the boy on first MTB ride, (no they are not reflectors you think you see):rolleyes:

[/IMG]

He had a spit the other day 'it's just the stupid bike' when things didn't go right, but looking at that pic he might be a bit big for it now. A seven year old should not be on a 16"er should they?

Last edited:

Bermshot

Banned
A bit retro now but pic of the boy on first MTB ride, (no they are not reflecters you think you see):rolleyes:

[/IMG]

PLEASE DELETE I tried.

Last edited: