I'm converted... only problem is what racing HT to get

xero

Supersports
:eek: That frame is about 25% heavier than a Superfly.

That kind of weight is irrelevant if it's a trailbike but significant if you're after a race bike. Especially if you ever look at future upgrades to a reasonably specced bike; saving 250-300g on parts is really expensive!
Each to their own....
On a frame alone, yes the Alloy Tomac with eccentric BB is heavier...as it should be when compared to a carbon frame.

However, a standard Fisher Superfly complete comes in at around 24lbs..... @ $6799.00 Aussie. ( cheapest I could find in Australia with a quick browse)
The frame has actually added weight to its predecessor.

Tomac RRP complete is $4199.00... so you have quite a bit of coin left over to upgrade parts for weight savings.

Last edited:

liamo

Likes Dirt
Each to their own....
A standard Fisher Superfly comes in at around 24lbs..... @ $6799.00 Aussie. The frame has actually added weight to its predecessor.
I don't know the weight of a Superfly hard tail but the Superfly 100 is 24lb, so I think there might be some confusion here.
And your comparing a carbon frame with alloy...... plus I bet there is a swag of coin left to upgrade the Tomac for the weight savings....
Tomac RRP complete is $4199.00
I'm not trying to say that the Tomac is bad bang for your buck, or that it isn't a great all round bike.

The OP asked about race bikes and I don't consider the Tomac a race bike, that's all. The Fisher definitely is a race bike and, regardless of whether you think it is a good bike or good value, it is a good benchmark when comparing other race bikes.

xero

Supersports
No confusion here..... the SF100 is only a little heavier than the SF hard tail complete.
Frame weight is 1.3kg (2.87lb claimed) ( not sure which size though) and complete Superfly HT is 24lbs
SF 100 frame weight is 2.1 kgs (claimed) with the complete coming in just upwards of 24lbs...

As far as a race bike..... the geometry reflects that.
Tomac geo is more on par as a race bike like the Niner Air... the SF while nice is actually slacker, making it a little more trail friendly rather than pure race orientated.
But as I said, each to their own.

I am not saying the Fisher is a bad bike... I dont mind them at all... but there are now quite a few race worthy 29er options on the market.

Last edited:

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
I'm super happy with my giant 29er. I would have (and still would) prefer something a bit more bling-blang, but for $1750 (minus cranks, front shifter, fd, bar, saddle) I couldn't say no. Especially considering that a niner frame alone is $1k+

Wheels are meh, and pretty heavy (2kg+) but plenty stiff. I've dropped 350-400g out of the controls and by going 1x9. Chucking on a set of 1600g race-ish wheels will get it to about 10.6kg. Not bad for a bike that owes me less than $2.5k.

I have a ti roadie, and while I love it, wouldn't race it. Ti can still be broken in a crash pretty easily, and repair, while possible, is not really feasible. I stick by the theory of racing on only what you can afford to, and are prepared to replace. If I wrapped my giant around a tree and killed it, I wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't want to kill myself, which is pretty much how i'd be if I destroyed a $2,3,4K custom Ti frame.

Think about the gary fisher single speed. Run it SS when you want it, and if you must have 10v (1 or 3x10) you can do that too without having to tear down and replace a whole lot of running gear. About $2k even for that one.

*rach*

Likes Bikes
Then again I am 85kg and she is 65kg so I would hope that we are not trying to both ride the same bike but just with longer tubing.
65kg??? WTF are you doing posting such slanderous numbers ..... I think you need the numbers the other way around...... :D

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
65kg??? WTF are you doing posting such slanderous numbers ..... I think you need the numbers the other way around...... :D
You stupid woman!!! (said in my best Allo Allo voice).
There is no way you are 85kg.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Ssshhh, dont tell anyone but....

....I'm in mid-build having needed to change bikes.
Just waiting on the wheels and I'll have the 'racing HT' to show off.

Its got the heavy wheels/tyres on at the moment and is still under 10kg in a 21":D

Hopefully pictures by the end of the week.

p.s. Sumgy / John D - I had the nicest ride on the Ventana El Com today. Sun, tacky dirt and great company. 4 singlespeeders hit Wingello. Only 1 was on kiddie wheels.

wazza2795

Likes Bikes
NINER EMD love it to bits rides great in all conditions just added a manitou minute 2010 fork with 80mm of travel so now my body loves it to as it was ridgid till now. cheers

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt
Soo many options.

I think i'm going to wait for the 2011 bikes... I think that this is the year that 29ers really get a massive push by the manufacturers, Scalpel 29, XTC carbon 29, Anthem 29, Niner air9 Carbon.

I heard a rumor that there's a 950g Scott 29er frame coming, which i'm very interested in.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Soo many options.

I think i'm going to wait for the 2011 bikes... I think that this is the year that 29ers really get a massive push by the manufacturers, Scalpel 29, XTC carbon 29, Anthem 29, Niner air9 Carbon.

I heard a rumor that there's a 950g Scott 29er frame coming, which i'm very interested in.
Yeti Big Top...