I'm converted... only problem is what racing HT to get

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt
So i'm looking at a 29er hard tail for XC/enduro racing. There are so many nice frames/complete bikes out there. I'm completely torn.

The real problem i'm having is deciding whether an tapered headtube is important, I'm pretty sure I want one, I'm a big fan of stiffness, but the problem is... a hardtail 29er out there with a tapered headtube, there's not a lot.

I'm looking for a high end build.

I thought of the Giant 29er frame as a starting point, but a 20" (i'm a large frame) is no longer available and they're a little too chunky for me.

At the moment i'm leaning towards a Niner Air9

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mamasita if DW still has any in stock would be a good option.
The Air in Scandium is a great bike although I thought it felt a little "dead".
To be honest I am not really convinced on the tapered HT.
I dont really feel any difference in front end stiffness between my tapered HT Tallboy and my standard HT Blacksheep.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Mamasita if DW still has any in stock would be a good option.
all the Mamasita's are gone... they are no more...

however an enterprising store in Canberra bought them all when they were on sale.

Elvis.

rushking

Likes Bikes
If you're after a racing HT have you investigated the Gary Fisher range, the Superfly in particular?
I believe Gary Fisher bikes are designed & specced for racing.

skinya

Likes Dirt
New ti el mariachi

Have you considered the new ti el mariachi from salsa? This bike would fit the bill very well.:)

trickle

Likes Dirt
Air9 gets my vote, mainly as I have just re discovered dirt and 29er's and have loved the ride of the Air9. Going to be a great race bike me thinks.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Gotta chip in as the resident Cannondale Bigot...

Love it love it love it! Cannondale 29er 1 racebike and 29er3 (SS) play bike. Very similar geometry to the Air9.

The new Flash 29ers look v. nice as well.

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt
If you're after a racing HT have you investigated the Gary Fisher range, the Superfly in particular?
I believe Gary Fisher bikes are designed & specced for racing.
I was originally looking at a Superfly but I really want 10 speed (I don't really know why), and it'd just be too expensive to buy, strip down and then re-build.

That looks fantastic.

Have you considered the new ti el mariachi from salsa? This bike would fit the bill very well.:)
As does this!

I've heard a few things about titanium not being very stiff... is this BS?

Gotta chip in as the resident Cannondale Bigot...

Love it love it love it! Cannondale 29er 1 racebike and 29er3 (SS) play bike. Very similar geometry to the Air9.

The new Flash 29ers look v. nice as well.
I was also thinking of a Cannondale, I love the new flash's. In recent years though, Cannondale have had a little trouble making their carbon frames stay in one piece.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IMO if you are going to buy the Salsa you may as well go directly to Lynskey themselves.
Then again IMO if you are going to the cost of ti, get something individual.

DW, have Salsa discontinued the Mamasita or are you just not bringing them in??
They still show up on the Salsa website.

I think the story of ti not being stiff is possibly correct if you dont get the right tubes for your weight.
My Blacksheep has very different tubes to those in my team mates Blacksheep.
Then again I am 85kg and she is 65kg so I would hope that we are not trying to both ride the same bike but just with longer tubing.

DW-1

Dirt Works
DW, have Salsa discontinued the Mamasita or are you just not bringing them in??
They still show up on the Salsa website.
alas the Mamasita is no more.

Salsa may still have a couple in the US of A. But once they are gone...

An option might be the new steel El Mariachi with the swinging dropouts... rrp $1149

Elvis.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Yeti Big Top, not sure when they're coming in, and haven't seen many reviews yet. IMO they look pretty good.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
The new Orbea Alma 29er has just been announced. Might be worthwhile investigating that as an option, although I'm unsure about shipping times.

xero

Supersports
I would guess that bike weighs a metric ton.
Actually not....... frame weight is very good. I dont have a complete weight on that spec though.
Average build without going full weight crazy is 24 lbs

Frame features
Lightweight AN6 aluminum with custom butted top, down and seat tubes
Designed for use with 80 or 100mm travel fork
3.4 pound frame weight
Standard head tube uses normal headsets
Frame standard with Bushnell Eccentric for SS or geared capability
Triple water bottle mounts on all sizes
Up to 2.55 tire clearance

This spec below builds up at 23.13lbs

Reba Race (currently 80mm)
XTR M960 cranks
ZTR Crest Wheelset
WTB NanoRaptors (set up tubeless)
Egg beater SL's
X9 front and rear der.
X7 shifters
Magura Marta brakes
FSA alloy post and stem
FSA Orbit headset
Titec Pluto carbon bars
WTB Rocket V saddle
Sram 980 cassette
Sram 970 Chain

Last edited:

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I think the story of ti not being stiff is possibly correct if you dont get the right tubes for your weight.
My Blacksheep has very different tubes to those in my team mates Blacksheep.
If you have 2 identical bars one in titaniuim and one in steel; then the steel bar will be about twice as tough, twice as stiff, and almost twice as heavy.
However the geometry of the bike will have a much greater bearing on the overall stiffness of a bike frame rather than the type of material used.
Things like tapered tubes, S-bend stays, tube diameters and thickness affect the overall properties much more than the type of metal.
People like titanium in bikes because of its greater elasticity which if all other factors are equal should result in a softer or smoother ride. It will also be a little lighter.
There are some disadvantages however like its softness, and propensity for failure after scratching or indentation (notch sensitivity).

Back to the OP.....
My favourite 2 bikes in this category are the Scandium Air 9 and Ti El Mariachi.
Both would make fantastic race bikes.
Personally I wouldn't go for a Black Sheep unless I knew exactly what geometry I was after.
Beautiful bikes sure, but its an expensive mistake for a first venture into the 29er world.

Last edited:

liamo

Likes Dirt
Actually not....... frame weight is very good.

3.4 pound frame weight
:eek: That frame is about 25% heavier than a Superfly.

That kind of weight is irrelevant if it's a trailbike but significant if you're after a race bike. Especially if you ever look at future upgrades to a reasonably specced bike; saving 250-300g on parts is really expensive!

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
:eek: That kind of weight is irrelevant if it's a trailbike but significant if you're after a race bike!
and lets remember that its the frame weight at 3.4 and doesnt include the extra bottom bracket stuff that you have to use too.

I dont think it s a race bike either. Nice bike, but not a racer - at least not in the company mentioned above (Niner, Blacksheep, Specialized etc etc).