Ice tech rotor melting/deformation

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After putting up with months of ordinary braking and replacing pads to no avail, I recently thought I'd have a good look at my rotors. Turns out at various points along my RT86 Ice tech rotors, there are holes in the aluminum core, and the stainless outer has lifted/buckled. Picture:

Now after doing some googling, it turns out it is actually possibly to melt the ally portion of Ice Tech rotors. I can only assume my rotor has suffered a similar fate, although obviously pretty minor compared to the picture below:

Who has actually managed to do this? I've had mine for a number of years and they've seen a fairly hard time overseas, so I'm not particularly worried. Just a bit shocked and interested in other people's experiences. Time to get off the brakes? :behindsofa:

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
There is a vid out there by some crazy German folk that did a worst case scenario on a road bike and they melted the centre out completely from memory.

It was a pretty out there test though, weights added to a bike on the biggest hill they could find.

Ire you running finned pad? Keeping the pad temp down may help, if not, Guides are reliable and perform well, I'm converted.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just normal-ish all mountain/trail riding really. A few trips overseas to less vertically-challenged countries but nothing out of the ordinary. They aren't being run with shimano brakes and finned pads, so maybe that has had a minor influence.

It's obviously nowhere near as bad as that lower picture (which I think was the result of that German magazine test spooz mentions) but it's been enough to disturb the braking surface therefore they are cactus.

I guess in my case it doesn't have to be melting. I just don't know how pieces of the core can just start falling out, and what has caused the braking surface to lift out is another mystery.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nah man, you have what are known (in the industry) as heat dimples...spots that naturally form on the braking surface to help reduce heat from the braking surface. It is a performance thing. Zee Germans obviously didn't appreciate it.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Nah man, you have what are known (in the industry) as heat dimples...spots that naturally form on the braking surface to help reduce heat from the braking surface. It is a performance thing. Zee Germans obviously didn't appreciate it.
Lol at heat dimples, sounds a bit like speed holes or drillium.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Lol at heat dimples, sounds a bit like speed holes or drillium.
Correctly tuned drillium will whistle a beautiful tune...

A long time ago some body board brand/s were putting dimples on their base. I think it was supposed to work like a golf ball.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Correctly tuned drillium will whistle a beautiful tune...

A long time ago some body board brand/s were putting dimples on their base. I think it was supposed to work like a golf ball.
Haha, my memory for useless shit is far better than it is for useful shit.
I'm not sure if this became a thing after they discovered that the texture on a shark's skin has less friction than a smooth surface......I think that was a finish for boat hulls. Dimples may have been the 650b of bodyboarding.

EDIT Sorry, I just assumed I was in the stupid questions thread, back to the brakes.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Surely not? I'm fairly certain the XT brakes they came with were specced with sintered pads.

teK--

Eats Squid
Shimano do say the ice techs are designed to be used as a rotor/pad combo. That said, my ride came with ice tech rotors but not ice tech pads.

The OP's rotors also look unevenly worn.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Damn this thread. Added a little bit of doubt to the mind when belting down the Mt Glorious descent this morning (road).

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The OP's rotors also look unevenly worn.
Good point. I had another look over them, and there's parts where one side of the rotor is almost worn through to the core, yet others where it's still thick (and even both sides). They are well and truly stuffed. Still have no idea how they've ended up such a mess though. It reeeally shouldn't matter what brand combination you use.

Damn this thread. Added a little bit of doubt to the mind when belting down the Mt Glorious descent this morning (road).
Haha, whatever were you doing braking down there