I like Shimano brakes but

Staunch

Eats Squid
Lightly contaminated pads and can burnt and sanded to remove a small amount of oil/contaminant. It works very well if there is minimal contamination.

If the squeak remains, and you don't see oil on the back of the pads when you remove them from the caliper, you have one (or more) of 3 problems remaining
- Pads are too badly contaminated
- Rotor is still contaminated (ever the tiny amounts of oil that remain in the slots in the rotor can be a problem as soon as you get some heat back into it)
- Rotor is too old/cooked (if it's discoloured from excessive heat cycles)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
In regards to the bedding in process. About half a 24hr race worked wonders for my new pads to match the lightly scuffed rotors.
I reckon you should drive a nice new and a bit expensive GT2RS with carbon ceramic brakes. Tap the brake, shit it's not stopping. Push harder, still nothing, push harder fuck I have stopped 50m before the corner and my eyeballs are on the inside of the windscreen.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
In my experience causes of squealing in shimano brakes (in order of how common it is for me):
1. Wrong brakes, they are actually srams
2. Contaminated pads - clean the rotor and caliper assembly, bin the pads
3. Rotors simply suck. Generally it's crappy cheap rotors, but having said that I'd had issues with some earlier RT800 rotors, HS1s never worked without noise and some trp brands don't work too well. Surprisingly the RT66 bottom of the barrel rotors have never been an issue.
4. End of pad life. I swear the compounds change near the last third of the pad, just generally starts making a lot of noise even though there is some life left.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
More fool you sucker! They are good as new thanks to my technique and a dash of @ozzysanding.

- drop of morning fresh + water on braking surface.

- rub braking surface vigorously against each other and watch the dirty suds build up.

- rinse and repeat until the suds are nice and clean.

- same again but with brake cleaner (I hadn't done this before and fuck me it was a gold inclusion).

- light sand with wet/dry ultra fine sandpaper (maybe this wasn't necessary, but ozzy told me to!)

- brake cleaner and clean rag on rotors until clean

- a few bursts of brake on a long steep hill (I took the bike for some jumps and ticked this off on the ride home).

Problem solved. I do also like the dishwasher, especially on the rotors. Shit comes out looking real fresh and works as good as new.
The dishwasher is the true hero - minimal effort for maximum return.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The dishwasher is the true hero - minimal effort for maximum return.
The thought of microscopic brake dust on my dishes outweighs need for turkey gobble free pads.

I have just sprayed them with isopropyl alcohol and then done a few maximum braking runs which has fixed them up most of the time.
Sticky paspalum at rotor height is one of the culprits IMHO.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The thought of microscopic brake dust on my dishes outweighs need for turkey gobble free pads.

I have just sprayed them with isopropyl alcohol and then done a few maximum braking runs which has fixed them up most of the time.
Sticky paspalum at rotor height is one of the culprits IMHO.

Just run a cycle after you finish the clean and you'll be fine. Or you'll become Akira.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Just run a cycle after you finish the clean and you'll be fine. Or you'll become Akira.
If my future lunches ever tasted a bit ceramic or metal sintered then I would be scrubbing the dishwasher for years with teary eyes.
The dishwasher is one of my favourite appliances that I just can't show disrespect :cool:

PJO

in me vL comy
Surprisingly the RT66 bottom of the barrel rotors have never been an issue
Solid agreement from me on that one.
They aren't technically the bottom of the barrel though, Shimano make lower level rotors but they are usually resin only.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
They aren't technically the bottom of the barrel though, Shimano make lower level rotors but they are usually resin only.
Yeah good point, make sure the rotors are metallic pad comaptible. Shimano tells you if they are but a lot of aftermarket ones don't. *looks at trp.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I had a bike through work that had M785 XTs. The stock resin pads would glaze & squeal like a pig every ride. Chucked 'em and went metal compound. Not a peep after that. Resin pads mostly suck (coming from the type of rider they're supposedly better suited to....)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I had a bike through work that had M785 XTs. The stock resin pads would glaze & squeal like a pig every ride. Chucked 'em and went metal compound. Not a peep after that. Resin pads mostly suck (coming from the type of rider they're supposedly better suited to....)

Slight side tracking but...I ran resin pads in a lot of brakes for years. I think I still do in some. I've nothing to complain about.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I did some more research.
'The current theory is that many Shimano brakes are leaking from the oil transfer port which has a 3 mm ID 1.5 mm thickness o ring between the 2 halves of the caliper allowing oil to move to both pistons.
The durometer of the nitrile /Buna O ring should be harder 90 not 70 ?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
The leaking is very slow so the pads may not be wet but get contaminated .
The oil can be burnt off by a heat gun or heavy braking but will come back.
In the name of science I will try pulling a caliper apart.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I pulled a SLX caliper apart ,it would appear that there are several different sized O rings sealing or not sealing the oil transfer port.
It was about 6mm ID x 1.5 mm thickness. Apparently 4 pot brakes have a bigger one.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Renovated a Deore caliper cleaned it thoroughly , burnt the pads cleaned the rotors with alcohol, it squeaked.
Put new pads in the caliper, it squeaked immediately, does this mean the rotors likely still have oil on them ?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Renovated a Deore caliper cleaned it thoroughly , burnt the pads cleaned the rotors with alcohol, it squeaked.
Put new pads in the caliper, it squeaked immediately, does this mean the rotors likely still have oil on them ?
Yes

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Definitely new bike time. Nothing more can be done. ;)

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Have you done anything to clean the rotors? There were quite a few suggestions.
Usually if you have any contamination from a suspected leaking calliper a scorched earth policy is best.
Calliper overhauled, checked for leaks and thoroughly cleaned, pads replaced, and rotors really well cleaned with isopropyl alcohol.