husselfelt cranks threat problem

freeride_sweet

Likes Dirt
hey guys i have a set of husslefelt cranks and the pedal insert in the drive side come out when i take the pedal off, i want to change pedal but i cant, i was told it was stuffed, but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on getting the pedal out without the tread

cheers
nick

tanlicouz

Likes Dirt
IF you are not planning to keep the pedal, and you have a VERY VERY VERY VERY Steady hand, you can drill the pedal out.

OR get a engineer who has the proper equipment to do it. Will save you new cranks.

red_dog

Likes Dirt
My mate had this problem the other day.
He took the crank arm off the bike, and heated the insert on the crank up with the 'oxi'.
The two came appart - and upon putting the insert back into the crank arm, locktite was used.
He then thoroughly greased the threads on the pedal rod before putting it back onto the crank

Davf

Likes Dirt
This problem has been covered numerous times, try using the search function, should find your answer there. Good luck.

tanlicouz

Likes Dirt
888_SANCHEZ said:
wont heating the crank with an oxi torch fuck up any heat treatment thats been done??:confused:
No not really even if it does who cares?

Point is heading it up will melt the loctite if there is any there and probably makes the metal alittle more softer.

But like i said before, if using red LOCTITE doesnt do it, then you will need to drill out the pedal to get hte insert back. That's what i had to do. Set me back 30 bucks to get it done by local engineer.

Juls

Junior Marzocchi Tech
Same thing happend to Mahoney.

we took it too the bike shop and they got it separated no probs.

I believe they put a slot in the thread itself somehow to hold it and got them separated.. so it was all still usable.

Go to the bike shop it's only $5 after all.

Juls

Rik

logged out
Search, I've said this probably 5 times already.
But anyway, for the lazy:

Clean the crank and inserts thread thoroughly... hit it with some strong loctite, or even superglue, screw the pedal+insert in and tighten the crap out of it, leave it for 24hrs or whatever, then come back and undo it. The pedal should undo first, if all goes to plan.

If not... get the pedal+insert, grind 2 flat surfaces in to the insert, chuck them in a vice and undo the pedal. Or... heat the insert with a decent flame (blowtorch, or even gas stove cooker), then try and undo them, preferably with a vicegrip or vice clamping the insert. Or... use a dremel/similar to cut the insert off the pedal and buy a new one for $5, making sure you use loctite/similar to hold it in place when you first install it. Or... swear alot, throw the parts at the wall, and buy a complete new crankset + pedal set.

bradh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
to the best of my knowledge, the steel inserts are not available as a spare part.

twomsta

Cannon Fodder
I also had this problem. I first tried makin a circular wood vice, (didnt work), then took it to the lbs and they tried a led vice, (didnt work) i tried heating, resetting it with heaps of loctite and everything. eventually i used an electric dremel to slice once side of the insert and attempted to open it up enough to loosen it off the pedals thread. this also failed so i resorted to cutting the entire insert up and off the pedal and got another set off cranks. I got the new husselfelts with the grub screw that stops the insert from coming out!