HUCK!

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
I've got a local track with a number of stunts to clean. Recently I hit the largest jump, which was an all or nothing beast with a verticle drop at the lip into a pit (where all the dirt came from). It took me many run ups before I hit it. Every aborted run up was shitting me more and more, but I wasn't going to let myself back out. Every time I thought I was going to do it I was sharply aware of my fingers on the brakes and I knew I was just going to use them. So finally, I had to reach a point in the run in where I just went "fuck it" and consciously took my fingers off the brakes. My mind just blanked as I went off the lip and the next thing I knew was that I had landed. However, I was so psyched out that I ploughed into a small sapling, removing one more obstacle from the side of the trail. :D I hit it up five more times after that just to make sure that I was doing it. The adrenaline hit from the first jump was intense.

The bottom line is that deep down I knew that I could do it. I just had to break through the fear barrier.

McBainous

Likes Bikes
I just try and think happy thoughts like in that peter pan movie, then you think less off stacking and usually pull it of smooth, if you think to much about the proper technique and all and dont do it naturally, youll nail yourself in the dirt. no one likes dirt for lunch, id know. :wink:

Ell

Likes Dirt
just put your feet on and pedal, the only thing i concentrate on is the line, if i can get that right the rest seems to pull off. its exatally what happend to me first time at red hill, i was following my friend down the track, i didnt even know what i was doing, but i just thought fuck it. didnt realise what i had done and how stupid it probably was till i saw the track again when i had my wits about me. if oyu live in the omoment you wont fuck up. oh yyea, i also have a habit of not doign run ins, cos they just put me off even more

Byatch

Banned
my riding mate tells me that he has already done any new huck that we come accross. i know he is probably bullshitting, and he knows i know, but i go harder to make him proove it to me.

if i stick it, he does it.

it's all about believing it can be done, and that your buddy *might* be getting better than you. pride is a mother of an incentive.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
MattR said:
In the words of the mighty Yoda "...there is no try, only do!"

In the words of almighty Pan... "Think of a wonderful thought, any happy little thought.... It's easy if you try. You can fly, you can fly you can flyyyyyyyy."

Or something :lol:

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
eyah, i love doin drops and shit but im not the bravest of all people, and i count down as i am rideing up to it 3,2,1. go if i dotn hit it on 'GO' i brake and run up again, dudes i ride with hate it it can tkae me half an hour to do one litlle drop when i had done a igger one next to it.
ithink landing anyhitng well is all in the mind!

j-ro

Likes Dirt
I either run through it in my head, pulling it clean, if this doesnt work and i cant envision that then i trick my self by saying ill just do a run in and as i approach i just say "meh, fuck it" and go!

shauno

Likes Bikes and Dirt
j-ro, thats what i do with jumps! i just run into it and say"meh, fuk it! lets give it a crackin" and then i usally stack :lol:

j-ro

Likes Dirt
shauno said:
j-ro, thats what i do with jumps! i just run into it and say"meh, fuk it! lets give it a crackin" and then i usally stack :lol:

exhibit A), red hil that day, wind? what wind?

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
cheese said:
What i want to know is what the hell bender thinks about before he drops something.
Probably oh f@#k!!! i can make it, i can make it, i can make it - mid air- i cant make it!.....oh f@#k!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :)

MTB_SYCO

Likes Dirt
all u need is a camera, thats y i hit a 2m drop on my apollo with bent forks so if they snapped it would look cool, but with my new bike because its only 3-4months old i dont really care bout stuff like if the fork breaks i get new 1's for free if the frame breaks i get a new frame so on. counting down is always good it works well and also just going its only gonna feel like a 3foot drop or something and that way it should be a nice smooth landing because u are doing it like its small. forget about the brakes - theres no such things as brakes as u are going for it otherwise u fuk yourself.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I know this is the same for a lot of people. I just say simply in my head, as mentioned above, 'Fuck it'. Get my finfgers off the brakes, peed ion the pedals, yank her up and bend thoes legs like they were 12" shocks.

armpit

Likes Bikes
if its big i just go. it might be scary but 99 percent of the time you are just making excuses not to do it

but if its really big i say to myself, if i dont do this how will i improve. The thought of me not improving is just unbearable, and plus if you try it now then its out of the way for later.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I just think - Whats the worst thing that could happen? - probably i fall off and scratch my knee or something like that. That was until i copped the ugly end of my handel bar in my eye socket :x . Now i wear goggles huck anything :D :D :wink:

Timmy Bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yea, i ussually think, whats the worst that could happen, and ofcoarse i scale it down to a scratch, but it could realy be death, meh.

mostly i think, how the hell would i ever become pro if i cant even do this, then i hit it. ha.

but i usually ride with my coasin and we are about the same skill level so if he hits it ok i generally know ill be able to do it.