Hub Rotor Mount Not Flat Causing Disc To Rub

mtb_punk

Likes Bikes
I recently fitted up some 6 bolt 7inch G2 rotors and organic pads to my Juicy 5's. The back went on with no problems. The front however, I cannot get it to not rub, no matter how hard I try. (with the 6 inch rotor it rubber ever so slightly, but the 7 inch has magnified the problem)

I have spent ages trouble shooting, as my rotors are dead flat (check with straight edge) before mounting, but once they are mounted to the front hub, the outer edge drops back a bit towards the spokes, with the centre raised (checked again with straight edge). ie the straight edge ran across the rotor rocks back and forward (I trust that makes sense without pics). I have tried this with 3 different rotors to ensure it isn't the rotor.

I then ran the straight edge over the rotor mounts on the hub (DT Swiss 370 Disc), and low and behold the mounting surface isn't flat, which is causing my problem. I know you can get various parts of your bike machined to ensure they are parallel/spot on (eg bottom bracket, your disc brake mounts on the frame). Can you get a hub machined to ensure the mounts are perfectly flat & at a right angle to the axle? If so, who in Melbourne can do it?

Thanks in advance.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
are you hubs under warranty? if so i would send them back. (never hurts to get new stuff) if not under warranty give your local engineer a call or even mechanic, and ask around about getting a mm or 2 taken off. it will be that simple. a lath will be to hard because it doesnt have a complete are to work from ie the axle is raised higher than the rotor mounts. (you could how ever dis assemble the hub down to its chassis and take it in.)

mtb_punk

Likes Bikes
Cheers for the help muskimo.
Bike is almost 2 yrs old, so I am pretty sure it will be out of warranty, but you never know. I'll still go see if the shop can work something out. I'll ask around to see if anyone can help in machining it.
Might even price up a new hub, might end up being cheaper and easier to just swap it?

Ivan

Eats Squid
Can you just space your caliper in a bit further with spacers to stop the rubbing?

savtraxx

Banned
in the meanwhile to help it rub , loosen your 2 calliper bolts , squeeze the brakes in , hold them in , tighten the bolts and let the brakes go , this will square things up as best as possible.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
PUNK with the prices of hubs these days good chance it will be cheaper for you to get a replacement hub and sell this one (to someone that wont use a front rotor ie; DJ/street style riders etc)
but its worth having a look see on prices. like said gripsport may be your first and best option.

Sumo

Likes Dirt
I had a similar problem with a Suzue carbon hub. The disk would scrape the pad on one side during rotation of the wheel, no matter what I did. I concluded the hub surface wasn't square. To get around the issue, I placed a very fine washer between the disk and the hub on the side that hit the pad. Problem solved.