How to seal rust into steel?

andrew_o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey farkers!
Just a quick Q&A. Have a steel frame I would like to raw, but I would also like to seal rust into it before i clear coat it(that cool rusty finish). I think blackmarket released a few riots with this finish? I googled it but nothing really relevant came up.

So how would I go about it?
What products should I use?

thanks,
Andrew

T-Rex

Template denier
Hey farkers!
Just a quick Q&A. Have a steel frame I would like to raw, but I would also like to seal rust into it before i clear coat it(that cool rusty finish). I think blackmarket released a few riots with this finish? I googled it but nothing really relevant came up.

So how would I go about it?
What products should I use?

thanks,
Andrew
A weak acid to make it rust quickly, then lots of coats of clear coat to keep the oxygen off the steel to preven further rusting.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure on this one, but lemon juice would probably do the trick as a source of weak acid. Test it on a scrap of polished steel first. I wouldn't use salt water.

Last edited:

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I wonder if you could oil it afterwards to get the same effect.

That kind of finish is common in 'Rat Rods' so if you google that you might get some ideas of how the look was achieved.

J--A--C--K

Likes Bikes
not sure how much of a rust finish u want but have you thort about just riding it around whilst its raw for a little bit untill have the effect you want then just use a clear that is made for steel and ferrious metals. and on the note of a mild acid just plain water should be fine and leave it for a day or to. i used the wrong clear on some steel onec and that did a nice job of getting the rust finish but im not sure i would recomend it for ur bike

jack568

Likes Bikes
found this thread, not bike related that could help you out a bit, http://www.finishing.com/305/22.shtml

i would say that it would be very hard to get a good finish if laquering over rust. the paint is more prone to peeling off as it sticks to the rust rather than the bare metal. depending on the level of rust on the frame too. Also steel doesnt like rust, so if you have a good quality frame you like, i wouldnt put it through the pain :)

Ducky Punk

Banned
1. Raw frame and build up bike
2. Wait til rust gets to level you want
3. Strip frame and clear coat 3-5 times well

That should be easy