how to manual

T-Rex

Template denier
@Daniel Hale FWIW I was following Junior yesterday down the street on the way to a club ride. He popped a wheelie, then just stopped pedaling and transitioned into a manual. Not sure if that's an easier way to get started or not, if you can wheelie already.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
@Daniel Hale FWIW I was following Junior yesterday down the street on the way to a club ride. He popped a wheelie, then just stopped pedaling and transitioned into a manual. Not sure if that's an easier way to get started or not, if you can wheelie already.
can’t wheelie either sorry

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The best wheelying bike I've ridden thus far is a Specialized Roll in the Large size 'Low Entry' frame

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@T-Rex wheelie to manual or wheelie to coaster? I've been trying to get coasters for a while, easier than proper manuals. Still can't do either well. Look at the balance at vertical
Spent way too much time stuffing around on my bike as a kid.
Coaster wheelies are all about brake modulation.

How bout a coaster wheelie from a standing start :)

I can manual OK but not the endless high speed kind, need more practice myself.

sbm

Likes Bikes
To check back in...

I tried out the poor man's manual machine, that is, I leaned against a wall (or lamp post), locked the rear brake, balanced the bike on the rear wheel, eased myself onto the pedals one at a time, then started balancing, keeping the rear brake locked.

While a very meditative way to pass the time while waiting before or after a ride (try easing backwards until you're sitting on the tire!), I don't think it's the same type of balancing as manuals. In a manual the rear wheel shoots out forwards or backwards from under you, but in a manual machine/rear wheel stall it's fixed in place, so you can push against it.

However, it will help you a lot with rear wheel trials hops where the brakes are locked! I landed a tire tap on a quarter pipe deck last week, after the "manual machine" practice, and I think it helped with that as I've been trying them for ages.

What might help is 1) remove the chain (to prevent pedal kickback/pressure) 2) lock the rear brake 3) lean against a wall/post and balance the bike on the rear wheel 4) get on 5) let off the rear brake. Though you'd be just as likely to loop out, and at that point you might as well just practice manuals normally?

tobbogonist

a registered member
Spent an afternoon pulling apart old pallets then an evening building a manual machine. Positioned it carefully in front of the shed roller door and tripped over it bi-weekly for 3 months.
It went in a skip last week.

I ride to work a few days a week and used to practice on the way to work until the truckies started taking the piss.

Now I practice in the carpark after a ride.
I cant do it and dont have any tips, but if you are looking for pallets to build a manual machine with bunnings usually have skids stacked out back they are trying to get rid of.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I did a good 15 minutes on my mates Transition bottlerocket yesterday. It was super difficult, it's very small for me, heavy and running a DH setup 1x9 but maybe a 38 tooth front. I'm going to keep at it, managed only 2 where I got more than 2 pedals. Last week I managed a couple where I'd feather and recover about 3-4 times before dropping it on a more suitable bike.