How to install brake lever?

Ryan H

Likes Dirt
I just broke my Shimano Saint brake lever body clean off and have ordered a new lever off CRC. Can anyone explain how to connect it to the hose? I know you have to use a 6mm wrench to screw it on and thats about it.

Any help appreciated,
thanks

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Yeah you got it, just undo the old lever, screw the new one in, and give it a bleed to make sure its working good.

rone

Eats Squid
I just broke my Shimano Saint brake lever body clean off and have ordered a new lever off CRC. Can anyone explain how to connect it to the hose? I know you have to use a 6mm wrench to screw it on and thats about it.

Any help appreciated,
thanks
It's 8mm. you may need to give the hose a bit of a tug after you've removed the collar as the olive wedges hard into the lever. If you go carefully, you should be able to reuse everything, too.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
you'll need to bleed it too, as the new lever will come without oil in it. Also, it's very easy to round out the 8mm hex fitting for the lever. When reinstalling it, be sure to use the ring end of the spanner.

- Joel

d_n2blue

Likes Dirt
you'll need to bleed it too, as the new lever will come without oil in it. Also, it's very easy to round out the 8mm hex fitting for the lever. When reinstalling it, be sure to use the ring end of the spanner.

- Joel
Probably not the best idea to use the ring end of the spanner because after it has been tightened the spanner will be stuck on the line!

Ryan H

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the help guys, been really helpful (apart from hanging the spanner of the line:rolleyes:), just a couple more things I'm unsure about; I've looked up how to bleed Shimano brakes and I'm pretty confident i know how to do it, except they show you how to bleed them while the oil is already in the lever. Seeing as the lever will come empty, how will it differ? How would i proceed in filling the brakes with oil as i don't want to get air in there.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Do it as though it were a completely new, dry system. If you're doing it from the bottom up, just push fluid through from the caliper until it comes out fresh and air-free at the top (allowing the crappy, bubbly fluid to spill over onto a well-placed rag, or sucking it out of the reservoir with another syringe), or if using the squeeze lever/pump into bag method, fill the caliper and keep going until it comes out... fresh and air-free. Note that the second method is a pain, as the air in the system rises as you're trying to push it downward. :facepalm:

Basically, it doesn't change anything about the bleed procedure.

- Joel

Ryan H

Likes Dirt
Do it as though it were a completely new, dry system. If you're doing it from the bottom up, just push fluid through from the caliper until it comes out fresh and air-free at the top (allowing the crappy, bubbly fluid to spill over onto a well-placed rag, or sucking it out of the reservoir with another syringe), or if using the squeeze lever/pump into bag method, fill the caliper and keep going until it comes out... fresh and air-free. Note that the second method is a pain, as the air in the system rises as you're trying to push it downward. :facepalm:

Basically, it doesn't change anything about the bleed procedure.

- Joel
Is there anyway i can do it by filling oil in to the lever? as thats the way ive found out how to bleed, by topping up the oil in the lever method.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Oh ok then, so i should just connect the new lever and top up the oil?
No. The oil will just sit in the top of the reservoir. There won't be any in the first part of the line, and there won't be any in the master (lever) cylinder. You need to bleed it.

- Joel

Ryan H

Likes Dirt
No. The oil will just sit in the top of the reservoir. There won't be any in the first part of the line, and there won't be any in the master (lever) cylinder. You need to bleed it.

- Joel
Thanks for your help, really trying to avoid taking it to the bike shop, one last question. The video above says to pull the lever until the oil level drops but so it doesn't take in air, how do i add the oil so no air is taken in?