How the hell do I get this blasted thing to run top-pull?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Shimano XT M-781 Front derailleur. Instructions were not supplied (or possibly lost) online seems to be no help. Thing seems to be rigged up for down-pull at the moment. How do I change this (apparently it can 'swing both ways')?

IMG_1236.jpg

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hard to see from the pic but is it possible to run the cable straight down the seat tube and wrap it under the arm so the cable is pulling the arm in a downward motion?

Does it have a model number stamped on it? Edit: maybe I should read better

Last edited:

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The 781 doc says nothing about being bottom pull.

Minlak's pic is what the service doc says too.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I thought you were at the F1 today POSM?
Gotta get this damn bike built and running well enough for next weekend's Odyssey and being trackside would mean having to either stay in Melbourne overnight because there's no public transport back to Phillip Island after 6pm, or drive up and not drink. <yeah right!>

Instead I've signed up for Foxtel and have beers on the go- good quality ones too, none of this Boags draught shite- and I'm going to smack this bitch up today if it kills me!

Pastavore

Eats Squid
My suggestion, ditch the devil's-work that is any front deraiileur and pop on a nice simple narrow wide chain ring.

Doesn't look like you are missing much at the GP :(

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I'm kicking myself for not going for a 1 x 10 set-up to begin with although I am fond of the granny ring and will no doubt need it next weekend.
Nah, just get yourself a 28t narrow wide, spin up and roll down. You're not planning on racing hard anyway, yeah?

Moorey is wrong about pretty much every question ever facing mankind (particularly those tricky equine moral dilemmas), but he's right about front derailleurs.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Posm, I'll express post you a loaner 32t NW ring. Pm me your addy. Bin that bitch.
Cheers for the offer Moorey but I'm going to stick with the E13 set till after the Odyssey at least. I might swap it out down the track but I'll probably go shopping for it as it's got to be the blackest of the black to fit in with the overall colour scheme.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Nah, just get yourself a 28t narrow wide, spin up and roll down. You're not planning on racing hard anyway, yeah?

Moorey is wrong about pretty much every question ever facing mankind (particularly those tricky equine moral dilemmas), but he's right about front derailleurs.
I suppose you're right.

Moorey. How black is that 32T NW?