How many chain links?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Noob question maybe... Little help?

But if I am going from a large cage RD to a medium cage RD do I need to remove any chain links to make up the slack? And if so, how many?
Is it just a matter of making up the length difference in the cages?

Still using same cassette and chain rings.

I have never known if there is some formula for the perfect chain length...

Thanks guys

Science

Likes Dirt
should only need a couple.
If you want a real number, measure the length of the original cage and the new cage, find the differance and subract that from the chain.
but an inner link and an outer link should be fine.

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt
should only need a couple.
If you want a real number, measure the length of the original cage and the new cage, find the differance and subract that from the chain.
but an inner link and an outer link should be fine.
Put the new chain on the same way you would any other. Big-Big +2 links or Small-Small so it just fits.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

Off topic I know. But I always liked his quotes :)
I too, however Albert Einstein was awarded the Nobel prize for his theory of relativity but, because his theory was so controversial the prize was technically awarded for his other work relating to photoelectricity.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Put the new chain on the same way you would any other. Big-Big +2 links or Small-Small so it just fits.
Science should be open to peer review... Small-small so it just fits doesn't seem right. If you have i on small small it should be threaded through the derailleur with some decent tension, otherwise it wont have any slack to get to big-big.

Return to the tried and tested theorem. If in doubt use google and the words "Sheldon Brown" with your issue.

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
Science should be open to peer review... Small-small so it just fits doesn't seem right. If you have i on small small it should be threaded through the derailleur with some decent tension, otherwise it wont have any slack to get to big-big.

Return to the tired and tested theorem. If in doubt use google and the words "Sheldon Brown" with your issue.

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain
Arguably the big-big, small-small theorem has been peer reviewed, to the extent it is the most commonly cited method in books, on web, etc.

However I personally use the Sheldon Brown approach (really a variation on the traditional big-big) as it has always been spot on and as shimano only give you one joining link there is no room for error.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes i agree with big-big + 2 links - with no derailleur path. But small-small just fitting without derailleur would not work, small-small with derailleur in slack(ish) position should work. Perhaps the science was correct, but the literature needed a little more

I have also seen a whiz bang chain length calculator program that lets you punch in chainstay length, sprocket and chainring sizes and choose derailleur or not to give you an exact length. I used it, but then checked with the above mentioned big-big+2 method before fixing the chain.

Last edited: