How do you push yourself?

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Not sure anyone is going to be much help here other than myself, however i was wondering how everyone manages to push themselves to their limits? Prior to injury I could push myself to the point of throwing up however after 6 months of doing little to no work, combined with a diet of frozen pizza I find I dont have the will power to exert myself like I used to, and sometimes even just giving up when it gets to hard.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Interesting . Perhaps instead of pushing yourself you might want to regain the fun factor . Remember what got you riding in the first place , the thrill of the trail , adrenaline coursing through your body as you hit sections you first thought you`d never do but now do . Ride with your mates again for fun not sheep stations . Forget that you have to be better than everyone or even yourself , smile when you go out for your next ride as you head into singletrack and look around at your surroundings and remember why you do it .
Injuries suck no doubt , i spent a lot of time on the sidelines last year and i do remember at one point telling myself i had to go harder than before but pulled myself up real quick on that score .Take your time and have patience with yourself .

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I always push through to the end when I'm eating pizza. We've all had tough times when we thought there's no way you'll ever get through that family size bbq meat lovers. But you just need to dig deep and pull through.
DON'T NEVER GIVE UP!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Look forward to the beer at the end. I have no ideas about despending but climbing u tell myself that it will end faster if I go harder.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I always try to ride within myself rather than finishing a ride feeling like I've been extruded through an anus. I think it simply produces a more pleasant result...

DJR

Likes Dirt
You'll still get fit enough by riding a lot but without needing to go to vomit stage. Usually more fun that way too.

Strava helps a little for logging times etc and making it feel more like a race but have to balance it.

Best is yo probably set achievable goals and meet them eg. I have a short uphill climb, been trying to get it under 4 mins, smashed it to 3.33 the other day :)

krizbike

Likes Dirt
I think the first piece of advice was the best - it's all about fun.
One thing I love about MTB that I don't get when I road ride is that it's a continual experience of small victories. Every corner a challenge. Every rock or drop a challenge. Can I do it faster? Can I go a different way? Jump or roll? Here come those horrid switchbacks - can I nail them all this time?
As was said - ride with some mates.
Also good is to get into some local club events. Just ride "Sport" class so you can have fun. Even in that class you'll push yourself harder in a race that you do at other times.
A GPS and Strava can help as well as it turns every ride into a potential race (but don't forget the fun factor still!).

Oh, and vomiting... not such a good idea. :) Breathe hard. Hit max heart rate.. for sure... but try to avoid the power-chuck!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Successes always help, you have to get the role on first.

You want to do it, that's why you posted the thread. You get the first good, hard hit out under your belt and you'll feel happy with yourself that you've broken through the barrier. Going hard the next time will be that bit easier and once you've made that investment in exhaustion and pain you won't want to make it for nothing and you'll keep the momentum going.

Just get that first win on the board, climb that first mountain, do it somewhere you'll enjoy yourself and have a big fat steak for dinner that night. Hard not to enjoy that and want to do it again.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Not sure anyone is going to be much help here other than myself, however i was wondering how everyone manages to push themselves to their limits? Prior to injury I could push myself to the point of throwing up however after 6 months of doing little to no work, combined with a diet of frozen piszza I find I dont have the will power to exert myself like I used to, and sometimes even just giving up when it gets to hard.
Forget DH or xc or endooro

I drink sailor jerry.......

Not sure anyone is going to be much help here other than myself, however i was wondering how everyone manages to push themselves to their limits? Prior to injury I could push myself to the point of throwing up however after 6 months of doing little to no work, combined with a diet of frozen pizza I find I dont have the will power to exert myself like I used to, and sometimes even just giving up when it gets to hard.

You need to give your bikes to me

styler

Likes Dirt
Small goals, followed by more small goals. I used to be the one getting left behind due to my fitness. Now I'm the one my mates are trying to catch and I'm still getting quicker.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If it's just a fun ride with mates there is no push, just ride for as long as the vibe is good.

A race (even though I'm only a middle B-grader at best) is different. There's usually a bit of a psychological boost from being in an event, which helps you dig a bit deeper & go harder. For me there's also a bit of bloody-mindedness, "I've paid to be here so I'm bloody going to get my best out of it!" kind of thing.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
When I'm so inclined - I seek out difficult technical long climbs - my goal becomes get to the top without a dab. A lot of these are riding a trail backwards because they aren't designed to be ridden up, but in order to get up some rock ledges while going up 10% grade, you are going to be exploring your maxhr

Once you can ride them without dabbing then try and set a strava time ;)

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I ride with others, they are almost always fitter and try not to hold them up.

The social aspect with a slab of shit talking is quite good motivation, also makes it hard to not ride when times have been orgonised.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you ain't motivated, you ain't motivated... don't force things or you'll dig yourself into a bigger hole. Go out and ride easy, enjoy the scenery! You'll get enough work in your legs from the uphill bits to keep you reasonably fit. In time the motivation usually returns.

A few years ago when I was training specifically for road TT's, I lost all motivation to push myself so for 12 months I just rode easy with no structure and no races. After resuming 3 months of solid work, my power was at least 10% higher than I'd ever achieved and I smashed all my PB's.

If all else fails, ride an indoor trainer for a few weeks... this should make you realise how much you love riding the trails!

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
If you ain't motivated, you ain't motivated... don't force things or you'll dig yourself into a bigger hole. Go out and ride easy, enjoy the scenery! You'll get enough work in your legs from the uphill bits to keep you reasonably fit. In time the motivation usually returns.

A few years ago when I was training specifically for road TT's, I lost all motivation to push myself so for 12 months I just rode easy with no structure and no races. After resuming 3 months of solid work, my power was at least 10% higher than I'd ever achieved and I smashed all my PB's.

If all else fails, ride an indoor trainer for a few weeks... this should make you realise how much you love riding the trails!
geez...i had a feeling this sounded like you before looking at your user name..........you really have jumped to the dark side....:)

but yeah what Chris and others are saying is true....

get the ball started and it snowballs....

first home trainer session of intervals this morning in about five years.....mega unfit and puke material...but the buzz afterwards...