How do you fit a tentioner?

Pete J

loves his dog
I would have just kept the original derailleur to act as the tensioner, they do a far better job imo. All you have to do is shorten your chain and then lock the derailleur into the right place. The springs on even the crappiest derailleur are much better than those DaBomb type tensioners.

Pete J

loves his dog
I don't have one, it's a single speed.
Well duh...
Did you buy your bike secondhand or something?
I always thought those Kona's came with gears... Whatever, the world has no shortage of spare derailleurs thank goodness! ;)

Renegade

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What the hells wrong with the tensioner?. It was 50 bucks from my LBS and it did the job freaking perfectly. Bambi.. sorry I didnt get back to your PM.. what you do is.. take the chain apart so its in one line.. bolt the tensioner onto the deraileur hanger.. feed the chain through the jockey wheel.. When I used it the jockey wheel sat ONTOP of the chain so it was pushing it down. Now adjust teh jockey wheel in/out so The chain isnt hitting the little metal bit and runs smoothly with not much sound. Screw it in tight so It doesent move. Put the chain back 2gether and it should be sweet mind you, you might have to take out a Link or something to get the best tension.

Cheers.

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
are you saying you have horizontal drop outs ??????
I think the Kona Stuffs have never come with horizontal dropouts.

edit.. My bad -- the cover of MBUK shows a Kona Stuff with horizontal sliders and a rear derailleur.

Last edited:

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bit of a grave dig(dont bother!)

but if you have a old broken derailleur laying around un clip ther circlip where the bolt that screws into the hanger.. you should find a spring.. swap this with the one thats in your chain tensioner and it should improve the cheap and dodgy tensioner a fair bit!