Hot as Hell Bike ride (updated 8-1-08) :)FINISHED:)

stainless

Likes Bikes
Hi to all the Farkers out there.

Not sure if this is the right place for this but it doesn't really fit anywhere else.

I am riding my bike from Wodonga in Vic to the Sunshine Coast in Qld (1500km) over the xmas period to raise money for the Cancer Council. I am doing it solo unsupported, carrying all gear needed on my bike.

I have called it the Hot as Hell Bike Ride and I start on the 27th of Dec and finish on the 6th of Jan. It started off as a bit of a personal challenge and something to do, but now i am doing it and raising money for the Cancer Council.

I have stipulated that all proceeds raised will go towards Melanoma research and support services.

The Cancer Council's mission is to defeat cancer and research plays a vital role. This is an expensive and ongoing fight that needs to be won. Here are a few statistics with regards to Skin cancer,
- Over 380,000 Australians are treated for skin cancer each year (over 1,000 people every day).
- Over 1,600 Australians die from skin cancer each year.
- Skin cancer costs the health system around $300 million annually, the highest cost of all cancers.
- Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world.
- Each year Australians are four times more likely to develop a common skin cancer than any other form of cancer.
The melanoma incidence rates in Australia and New Zealand are around four times as high as those found in Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom.

This will effect alot of us at some stage in our lives...

I am currently seeking sponsorship/donations for the ride, if you are a potential sponsor then please contact me for more details and media information.

If you as an individual would like to make a donation I can accept most forms of payment (cash, CC, Direct deposit, elec funds transfer). Account details below for deposits, please put your surname as a reference and send me a PM because the Cancer Council needs this for accounting purposes.

All donations over $2 are tax deductible and you will get a receipt from the Cancer Council.

So get some mates together, and a few coins and contact me to help make a difference in the fight against skin cancer. (A lot of people say it is a good cause but you need to dig into your pocket to make a difference)

I will keep this post updated so you can stay informed on how it all goes.

Thank you

Linden

Fundraiser
Cancer Council
Suncorp
BSB 484-799
Acc. No. 002199025

I have attached a couple of photos of my trusty companion.

Attachments

Last edited:

pinned--->

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your a dead set legend mate. I really look up to people like you.

Good luck on the ride and stay safe! I'll be checking this thread for updates thats for sure!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Isn't this like doing a sponsored smoke-a-thon for lung cancer?

;)

Best of luck, though mate. It looks like it'll be a grueller!
Thats what I though as well.

Make sure you bother/PM me when you start and I'll donate some cash.

stainless

Likes Bikes
Thats what I though as well.
This is not a dig at anyone...:)

There are a few reasons I choose to do the ride at this time of year.

It is when I'm on leave form work.

My job is to promote a healthy lifstyle/fitness, and sitting inside and hiding during summer is not conductive of that :)

The heat itself does not contribute to Melanomas, it is the contact with the rays from the sun. That is why I am wearing a long sleeve sunsmart jersey, a bandana that attaches to the back of my helmet for neck protection and plenty of sunscreen.

I was doing it as a personal challenge as well and it sounded good at the time, like the Badwater ultra, or the Mt Blanc Trail run (I havn't done these but they are on the list), it is the physical adversity that appeals to me.

Summer is the best time to raise the message about Melanoma support.

And if these reasons are not enough, surely we can sacrifice one (ME) for the benefit of others.

Thanks to everyone for their support, and remember to dig deep ;)

Cheers

P.S. I'll put account details up tonight, if everyone transferred $1 we could make a huge difference.

Last edited:

chu

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your a dead set legend mate. I really look up to people like you.
couldnt have summed it up better myslef. good luck with the ride and i hope that all goes well...i will try and donate a bit of cash to the CC here where i live or would you rather i give the money to you?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The heat itself does not contribute to Melanomas, it is the contact with the rays from the sun. That is why I am wearing a long sleeve sunsmart jersey, a bandana that attaches to the back of my helmet for neck protection and plenty of sunscreen.
Thats what I figured you would be doing. It just looked kind of funny when you didn't elaborate.

JDB

Likes Dirt
Great idea, and very cool for doing it. Got to say I love the set-up on the Surly. I think you've got a beauty of a bike there and your going to have an amazing ride. Hope your going the back way, would be a shame to do it all on the highways.

stainless

Likes Bikes
I have just put the account details up in the original post. Electronic funds transfers are the easiest to keep track of, just make sure you let me know via PM and use your surname as a reference on the deposit so you can get your receipt.

If everyone took the time to transfer even $1 it would make a huge difference :)

To any of the Albury/wodonga guys/girls I will have a stand at this Fridays 'Lounging on High' activity, so if you want to come and have a chat about it feel free. I'll be the guy on the surly on the mag trainer.

Cheers, and keep the questions coming, it all helps to drum up interest.

stainless

Likes Bikes
Another update (7 Dec 07)

Picked up my jerseys from the printer today, really happy with the result. Went to 'Lounging on High' again tonight for a bit of exposure (not THAT kind of exposure) and to raise some funds,,,and had a good week of training, rode through a massive storm on Monday, not much choice when you are 60k's from home.

Bike is going well, happy with component choice and just fitted some SKS fenders, thanks to Abbotsford cycles for sending them up to me.

I'm working on a bike and gear weight of 40kg at the moment and thats most gear that I think I will need. Averaging 22kph when riding loaded and am surprised that I don't notice the weight as much as I thought, except when in town and on hills :)

And a couple of new pics with the jerseys done. I tried to convince the clown on the unicycle to come with me but he wasn't keen on the idea...

Attachments

stainless

Likes Bikes
New update and my near religious experience

Fund raising is going well, training is going well and had an interesting experience out riding today.

I left home at about 8 this morning and headed out towards to Wangarratta for another test ride with all gear. Had a slight head wind so was pushing to keep 21kph average with 42Kg of bike and gear. Made it to Wang in about 3 hours, a quick lunch and then started to head home, now that the head wind was a tail wind i could cruise along at about 28kph avg. and was in an almost zen like state, hammering along the freeway. Life is good, then,,,

About 20k's out of Wang a car flys past and quickly pulls over in front of me, a guy gets out and stops me. I thought he might have seen the Cancer Council logo on my jersey and wanted to know what the go was, but no. He asks me if I have been born again .......I say 'no',

Him: 'where are you riding to, do you believe in god?'

Me: 'No i don't, I'm just doing a training ride to Wodonga, I'm doing a ride for the Cancer Council in a few weeks'

Him: 'your doing a ride like that and you don't believe in god'

By this stage the rest of the "Flander's clan" are out of the car and have me bailed up on the side of the Hume.

He goes on about that the whole praying, church deal is a load of crap just to get money from people and real belief is to just except the spirit. He said he knew guys like me (not exactly sure how he knew me in the 2 minutes we had been standing there), that accepted the spirit and could talk in ancient languages that they didn't even know.

He then said he could do it right now if he wanted to because of the direct connection he had with the spirit.

He asked me if i would accept the spirit, I said 'look mate, I'm just out riding my bike and not in the mood for a religious enlightenment on the side of the road, I've got to keep moving,'

He said no worries and they all left.

I quickly rang my oldies and let them know where I was and that I would call back soon just in case the Flander's couldn't let the heathen on the bike go and abducted me to their cult...

Now, I know he was just trying to get he conversion credits up so he had enough points for a bonus life, but c'mon,,,stopping bike tourers on the side of the road...that is taking it too far.

It was another 20k's before I returned to my happy place :) and that was my ride :)

This is just a journal entry. Not the start of another religion thread ;)

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow! I'm heading back up the coast for a mates wedding on the weekend, so I'll go and stash a few eskies with some roadside beers... I'll be sure to make a donation. Best of luck

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Which one is the clown?

Nah, that's some awesome work there BJ. The rig looks trick too, taken it over any sweet jumps? What's your estimated day to get in to the Sunny Coast? I think we can get on down for a welcoming (insert sports drink of choice here) if you're not sick of it by then.

See you soon bro!

stainless

Likes Bikes
Thanks Itsajoke, nah i havnt taken it over any sweet jumps yet, but i just hope my nun chuck skills come in handy on the way up there....

I will be at Kings Beach on the sunny coast on the 6th Jan at around 2, my oldies are organizing a bit of a fundraiser thing down there for the day and we now also have a raffle going.

Anyone can contact me if you want to buy tickets, first prize is a 7ft pool table donated by 'The Billiard Shop'. Tickets are $2 each or 6 for $10. Sorry I wont do shipping (not worth it for long distances) so if you are in the area and want to try and win a pool table or just to donate to the Cancer council then get in touch.

I am now at the Sydney airport net cafe and wont have much access to a comp while im on the ride so my phone is the best means of contact.

Cheers

Linden
Fundraiser