Hope tech 3 v4 vs magura mt7

thrower78

Likes Dirt
Sorry for another vs thread
I'm deciding on new brakes and these are the two in the mix.

Hopes I have had on my last bike and I really like them. Super consistent, lots of power, very easy to bleed, good modulation. But very heavy, one full brake plus rotor is over half a kilo.

Mt7 seem to be getting some amazing reviews. Talk of astonishing power and excellent modulation. Possibly slightly more complex to bleed than hope. But over 200g per brake lighter than hopes. That would be half a kilo weight saving just in brakes.

Weight is not a huge issue but it's intriguing.

Has anyone had experience with both brakes and can offer some thoughts

poita

Likes Dirt
Never used hopes, but have mt6s on one bike. Really like the modulation but bleeding is slightly more complex than the Shimano I'm used to. They are definitely as light as they claim

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I haven't had either but the Magura MT6 was an extremely bad brake, like all my previous Maguras you could cook it in one decent stop and they take a while to come bac to life. I wouldn't believe the hype, I have found Magura brakes to work okay for a while then they get some weird quirks, my MT6 was a huge pain to get the brakes to feel right after it had been laying in the car or flipped over.

At about the year mark my levers would pop out of their location if you hit anything rough which made reaching the lever nearly impossible. I got an offer to get my master chlinders replaced under warranty but didn't bother as they aren't worth the effort.
Also if you are a lover of hitting trees with your bars you will be forking out loads of money as you wind the compression nut in to fancy plastic and the slightest hit can cause leaks. The new master cyl is supposedly an improvement but the MT6 was supposed to be better than my Louise and Julie from years ago but they weren't, I wouldn't take the gamble.

I have just ordered some Guides to replace my Shitmanso(only Deores) so we'll see how they go.

thrower78

Likes Dirt
I have contemplated the e4, just not sure if they will be under powered. They are going on a bike that will to everything from local trail to whistler and nz dh trails. I am around 110kg with gear and do enjoy having ample braking. I have read that the e4 is much less powerful than v4 and I only have personal experience with v4. Just not sure.
If you have ridden the e4 and you are not someone who weighs 60kg let me know what you think

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm around 85kg out of the shower, so +10kg geared up with camleback etc.
I have E4s (non braided) on an SB6c and ride everything from single track to light DH and tech Enduro type trails. I used to run Hope saw rotors but got a pain in my arse truing them so went to full stainless Sram centrelines.
I also run standard non sintered pads.
I've never had issues with power or brake fade. Initial bite is great, with awesome feedback and modulation.
I've never used V4s but E4s are day and night ahead of anything else I've owned or used.

Three

Likes Bikes
I have M4s (old version of the E4) and V4s. Both are great, just V4 with the matching discs are a couple notches better. Although I think E4's will hold up to just about anything.

Minlak

custom titis
I'm huge well over your weight and my e4's can lock the wheels at any speed I have attained. Of course I rarely lock them up as they have the best feel I have experienced. Very progressive. Of course mine have red top covers that may help. Oh I got the braided lines version too.

thrower78

Likes Dirt
I had braided lines on the v4's until I had a crash and ripped the line out of the lever. Even with a truck full of tools and knowing how to work with braided lines I could not get the compression olive over the ends of the braid, and it's a split olive. That was the day I changed to normal lines. As great as the braided lines are if I'm many hours from civilisation I like that I can refit the lines with a knife and a small spanner

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I had braided lines on the v4's until I had a crash and ripped the line out of the lever. Even with a truck full of tools and knowing how to work with braided lines I could not get the compression olive over the ends of the braid, and it's a split olive. That was the day I changed to normal lines. As great as the braided lines are if I'm many hours from civilisation I like that I can refit the lines with a knife and a small spanner
I had my bike land on a boulder with my brake line between the boulder and my stanchion, the brake worked as good as it did before the whoopsie but if I had normal line it would have needed replacing. You can be unlucky with either line though I guess.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I just shortened the braided line on the V2s of my DH and replaced the lines on the M4s on the banshee with standard lined. I'm with thrower, the braided is a head fuck, plus stainless steel splinters are fucking painful. The standards on the other hand, 5 minutes to swap both lines and another 10 for the bleeds. Awesome.