Hope rotors+ XT calipers= conflict?

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Just fitted a new wheelset to my Genius, including a swap from SLX hubs with centrelock XT Icetechs to Hope Pro 2 Evo's and 6 bolt Hope Saw floating rotors.
I don't know whether to post in the fuckwits thread yet, but it would seem there is no clearance between the caliper and the rivets that hold the outer ring to the core of the rotor. Only one end of the caliper seems to be a problem and as it turns out, with some careful adjustment it JUST clears the caliper now. Even then, there are slight marks on the rotor where it is still touching. Anyone else have this problem? I can see that a Dremel/file could fix this side of the problem fairly quickly but it may also guarantee another fuckwits entry. Can anyone see some glaring error?

ChopSticks

Banned
really a need to make 2 threads about the same thing? mods might want to merge it?

anyway..... are your callipers actually aligned to the middle of the rotor? forget pads.... centre the actual calliper over the rotor.
yes the calliper sits tight with the rivets, but if your pads have worn unevenly or if you have sticky pistons, it wont help.

Minlak

custom titis
Assuming you had the XT brakes before and they were mounted on the correct mounts for shimano what size rotors did you buy? I just got hope saws and they are 183mm you can also get a 203 do you have the right rotor?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Assuming you had the XT brakes before and they were mounted on the correct mounts for shimano what size rotors did you buy? I just got hope saws and they are 183mm you can also get a 203 do you have the right rotor?
Hope floating rotors are a tight fit for Shimano, and a mess of a fit for Formula. These calipers were never designed to be used on floating discs so the clearance between the inside faces is too narrow for clearance of the rivets.

If the Op bought the correct rotors, there's still a good chance of fowling.

You can either space out the calipers on the mounts or modify the calipers (read file or grind).

Minlak

custom titis
Hope floating rotors are a tight fit for Shimano, and a mess of a fit for Formula. These calipers were never designed to be used on floating discs so the clearance between the inside faces is too narrow for clearance of the rivets.

You can either space out the calipers on the mounts or modify the calipers (read file or grind).
He mentioned fuckwit thread so thought I would point out the obvious as well.... Until I just read what you wrote I would have assumed a 180mm rotor is a 180mm rotor and easily could have made the same mistake.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
really a need to make 2 threads about the same thing? mods might want to merge it?

anyway..... are your callipers actually aligned to the middle of the rotor? forget pads.... centre the actual calliper over the rotor.
yes the calliper sits tight with the rivets, but if your pads have worn unevenly or if you have sticky pistons, it wont help.
The previous comment you're referring to was in another thread about Saint calipers.
The brake set is relatively new, pads would be 90%+ life and evenly worn. With the caliper sitting centred over the rotor, there is absolute minimal clearance between the mounting lug on one end of the caliper and the rivet.

Previous rotors were XT Icetech 180's. There is clearance from the edge of the rotor to the inside of the caliper and the pads are contacting the disc in the right area, just the rivets where they pass the back mounting lug of the caliper are very close. When riding, you occasionally hear the rivets rubbing when the disc flexes or whatever.

Spacing the caliper won't work. To miss the rotor rivets it would have to be adjusted too far out for the pad contact on the disc. I think "modification" may be the solution.
Look for me in the confessions of a fuckwit thread!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It is not an issue. I am running new XT and older Hope floating discs. The discs are non saw type but the spider and bobbins are the same. At the rear I had to space the caliper up and have slightly filed the inner mount but it works well. I was running Saint calipers and these needed a bit more finessing. As those are now on the fat one I put new XTs on the 575.

Nothing other than bolt the front on with an 8" rotor

Clearance is fine up front

Rear is a 7" rotor so the caliper is spaced up about 1mm

Clearance is tight but no issues.

Sorry about the phone pics, the bike is being borrowed while I am fat biking up the beach so in transit for today.

Last edited: