Hope pro II help - play in freehub

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
To the technical gurus out there, I have a 5month old hope pro ii rear which is laced to crests, gears have been playing up a bit and difficult to change up the cassette (up as in going to easier gearing). I was changing the cassette over to a new one in perpetration for the Scott and when I eventually got the thing off, there was side to side play in the free hub body - about 1 mm at a guess.

So the question becomes whether pulling it apart and putting it back together might fix it, or of it will need a new hub body , or if it caused by worn bearings / something else?

Given the timescale I'm not sure if I will be able to get a hub body before time (weekend after next)- any input greatly appreciated ;)

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure how much you know about the Hope hubs, but they are a compression fit - held together by the rear axle being clamped to the bike. Is the play still present when the rear wheel is clamped would be my first question?
By side to side I am assuming you mean along the axle, not in the direction of rotation?
Secondly - have a look at the hope tech webiste, or youtube for Hope Hub Rebuild (or something like that) - they have some nice videos detailing exactly how to service the hub.
If it does need a freehub some of the decent shops should have the freehubs, but it might just need a new retainer seal too.
Al..

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These freehubs are pretty simple. Are the bearings seated properly? As mentioned above, it all squishes up when it's bolted together. There's really very little to go wrong.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
These freehubs are pretty simple. Are the bearings seated properly? As mentioned above, it all squishes up when it's bolted together. There's really very little to go wrong.
Just dont let water get in behind that seal(it is pretty piss weak), if it does, dont expect it to last very long!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
THANKYOU GUYS!

It was a problem of confidence - sure enough the cassette and freebody that moves like buggary when off the bike, with some sort of magic thing happening, became stable when in the frame - cant figure out how it does as the axle is under pressure, but the freehub seems to be free of the frame.

Anyways, when put together and on the bike all is good

thx again.