homemade dh bike -finished -Pics up

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
well done mate thats a great job you've done.

Too late for opinions and perspectives on your report but the only downside I'd say is the length it appears to be, however you've compared it to a commercially made bike so perhaps its just the pics or the completely new frame design thats throwing me off!

One of my first thoughts though as I started reading this post, like you said how you managed to find a seat post off another bike and bend it to suit, I thought maybe you'd pick up a cheap or free frame with cracks or something and cut the bb shell out of it to use instead of going to the trouble of having one mad up, or did it work out more financially viable this way?

dh1

Likes Dirt
for this design i needed an 83mm BB shell and as i suspected, an my theorey proven right after alot of phone calls, 83mm shells are ususlly only used for downhill and freeride bikes. so they only choice i had was to get one made up.
for my next desgn i will use a 69 or 73mm shell which i can just hack off another old bike.

the wheelbase did turn out longer then what originally planned, only by a small amount, though the longer wheelbase does have its advantages such as making the bike more stable at high speeds but the downsde is that it isn't as responsive during cornering as a shorter wheelbase

holdenutes_93

Likes Dirt
My only criticism is your square top tube, seatstay and etc. Should have made them round I reckon but yeah it is your choice. You should get a professional TIG welder to do all your welding just go by his hour rate and it shouldn't end up too expensive.

mad greek

Likes Dirt
Bloody great job mate. You've done better than most around (including myself), and it looks the goods too!

Cheers,
Theo

shcotty

Likes Bikes
concidering you didnt use CAD how does the set up feel
i thought you would have noticed that the chainstay is in the way of where the chain path would be
other than that SIIIIIIIIIIIC!

thats cool man i cant wait to see end product its good to see some one else maken a frame other than a bike company good luck......

hey everyone, im currently in the process of building a dh frame. i have finished the main frame/ triangle and thought i would post up a pic of it so far.
please don't give me comments on the welding because it is only tacked at the moment as I am not a good enough welder to do it myself and it will get cleaned up.

i will keep this thread updated as i progress. please feel free to leave me comments and thoughts and ask questions.

thanks, enjoy.
have you tested it out yet

alexbell94

Cannon Fodder
Wow mate that's a bloody great job.
I love where the shock is and it looks to have a lot of ground clearance.
Gongrats on the Top job, I'd buy one.

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's cool, I've wanted to make my own frame for ages now, I was looking at going aliminium though, but I might give it a go with steel as I am pretty handy with a mig.
Thanks for the inspiration.