Hollybank in Tassie?

dunndog

Eats Squid
Heading down to the motherland in april for the EWS at Derby, family in tow. Will get some riding done and some spectating for extra feelings of shitness about my own lack of skills, then after a few family days i'll have a full day to myself before sailing home. i'm in 2 minds about this day, as I need to sail on the spirit at 9pm. I may or may not return to ride Derby and high tail it over to Devonport, or I was thinking I might go hi Hollybank for the day, get a few k's in and a few laps of Juggernaut. Is this somewhere you could easily spend 5-6 hrs riding and enjoy it? A few laps of a 10k descent with multiple lines and a few extra bits sounds like a pretty good time, and much better shooting distance to the boat..
How's it looking there these days and what do you reckon?

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get your fitness to an absolute high level if you plan on doing multiple laps of Juggernaut without shuttling - the climb is long, undulating and makes you feel like your stuck in a vortex - especially the climb OUT of Juggers.

I personally would stay the day in Derby - depending on how many trips you plan to make to tassie.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Get your fitness to an absolute high level if you plan on doing multiple laps of Juggernaut without shuttling - the climb is long, undulating and makes you feel like your stuck in a vortex - especially the climb OUT of Juggers.

I personally would stay the day in Derby - depending on how many trips you plan to make to tassie.
Thanks, that's what i was wondering.. how's the riding there though? Climbing aside, could you fill a day in there easy enough?

does anyone run shuttles of Juggers or do you just do it privately?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
What day are you heading back? We might be aiming for the same boat.

If you haven't ridden Jugs yet then I would say it's worth a look, totally different to anything in the Derby area. I've been twice now and each time three-ish shuttled runs has been more than enough. Have you considered the "bike park" at Penguin?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Thanks, that's what i was wondering.. how's the riding there though? Climbing aside, could you fill a day in there easy enough?

does anyone run shuttles of Juggers or do you just do it privately?
The riding there is a lot more XC oriented; Juggernaut is a fun trail for the most part, but you really need to pump the bike to maintain speed through the bottom half and there is an annoying amount of climbing towards the end. Pretty sure they don't do shuttles there anymore.

You could fill the day by doing it a few times, but there's really just the one trail (aside from Ginger Ridge and some XC stuff at the bottom), unlike Derby where there's plenty of options. I prefer the dirt and forrest at Derby, it's a real loam fest with ferns and beautiful bush, whereas Hollybank is sort of dry gum forrest and hard dirt/gravel like the You Yangs. Ginger Ridge is a blast, but super technical and probably better on a bigger bike.

If I had to ride one trail all day I'd choose Big Chook over Juggers any day.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Juggernaut is a fantastic moderately rocky descent , more homemade/handbuilt than Derby but the top half of the climb is too much for me so we went up the fireroad which is easy to find.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 2c, Hollybank will get real old, real quick over 6 hours.
You could easily spend a whole day riding Derby and still be smiling ear to ear, Hollybank is a lot more demanding physically and aside from Juggernaut, the other stuff isn't worth the trip.
Apologies to any locals :behindsofa:

dunndog

Eats Squid
Yeah thanks for the feedback, pretty much what I expected. I'll get some leg powered riding in over the ews weekend as there's not a shuttle to be had anyway, so i've booked myself in to the pub on the Sat night and have blue tier and atlas shuttles booked. Should be a good day of shredding with plenty of time to drive back up to the boat. One of the things I miss most about Tassie is just driving. you actually make distance and see things.
Cokeonspecialetcetc, I'm sailing 9pm on sunday 16th. That your ride too?

dunndog

Eats Squid
Nope we're on a Friday night boat 14th but will be hanging round Derpy et al until then. Would be good to share some shuttles and a beer or two.
Would be sweet, but I'm leaving Derby Monday the 10th (my birthday) to hit St Helens for a few days at the Uncle's shack, then to Hobart and back up to Derby on Sat 15th to ride the next day and then on to the boat.. so afraid we'll be like ships in the night unfortunately.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Would be sweet, but I'm leaving Derby Monday the 10th (my birthday) to hit St Helens for a few days at the Uncle's shack, then to Hobart and back up to Derby on Sat 15th to ride the next day and then on to the boat.. so afraid we'll be like ships in the night unfortunately.
All good, we're shacked up at the Weldborough from Thursday 6th to Sunday 9th with a loose plan to ride Blue Tier and Big Chook around race commitments, could meet up then.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Nice, have you booked any shuttles for that? She's all pretty booked around then! We hit town Friday so keep in touch and see if we can bust a lap, smash a pint or both. We're staying in Branxholm at a little acreage, got a hobby farm, baby goats, sheep, llamas.. keep the kidlets entertained.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
There's always the option of riding some of the trails around Kelcey Tiers behind Devonport, some new stuff has just gone in. And as mentioned before there is Penguin MTB park a further 20min west with trails and a jumps park.
If you need any directions I'd be happy to help.
Chris

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
There's always the option of riding some of the trails around Kelcey Tiers behind Devonport, some new stuff has just gone in. And as mentioned before there is Penguin MTB park a further 20min west with trails and a jumps park.
If you need any directions I'd be happy to help.
Chris
Thanks for the advice, always keen to check new trails. Are there details up on TrailForks or similar?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Thanks for the advice, always keen to check new trails. Are there details up on TrailForks or similar?
Yeah both Penguin and Kelcey Tiers are on Trail Forks. Kelcey Tiers is not signposted so Trail Forks will help, the very new stuff is not on it yet but it's close to all the other single track.