Help with shock length

No Judge

Likes Dirt
I blew my rear shock (Suntour RS6-LO) about 2 weeks ago. It has been back and forth to my LBS who surmised that no one wants to touch them in Australia :( To summarise the problems; The shock doesn't hold any air pressure, and is also locked in the compressed position (therefore I cannot measure the eye-to-eye length of the shock).

Reading through the manual off the web, it states "Configurations: 190 x 50 / 165 x 38" Can I take from that that it is 190mm in length???

I have been directed to ChairReactionCycles, and the prices seem reasonable, however I need to know the length before I lay out my hard-earned.

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
I blew my rear shock (Suntour RS6-LO) about 2 weeks ago. It has been back and forth to my LBS who surmised that no one wants to touch them in Australia :( To summarise the problems; The shock doesn't hold any air pressure, and is also locked in the compressed position (therefore I cannot measure the eye-to-eye length of the shock).

Reading through the manual off the web, it states "Configurations: 190 x 50 / 165 x 38" Can I take from that that it is 190mm in length???

I have been directed to ChairReactionCycles, and the prices seem reasonable, however I need to know the length before I lay out my hard-earned.
Those measurement given, IMO, would be eye to eye x stroke length,

So, the '190 x 50' would have an eye to eye of 190mm and a stroke of 50mm I'd assume?

Keep in mind some OEM have shock lengths you cannot buy seperately, or vice versa, I forget which way it is.

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Thanks Deano, I think 190mm sounds right. Taking a tape measure to the shock, it's about 50mm in diameter, but the stroke could be right also. But what about the 165 x 38 bit?

I'm after another shock completely, not the same one. Most of that main shocks come in 190mm, so length shouldn't be a problem there. As long as it is 190mm...

DownhillerDeano

Thanks Deano, I think 190mm sounds right. Taking a tape measure to the shock, it's about 50mm in diameter, but the stroke could be right also. But what about the 165 x 38 bit?

I'm after another shock completely, not the same one. Most of that main shocks come in 190mm, so length shouldn't be a problem there. As long as it is 190mm...
I'd say the 165x38 would be the measurements for a smaller shock.

Used for smaller travel bikes, 165 eye to eye and 38mm stroke

No Judge

Likes Dirt
I think the 165 and 190mm is the length of the shock. However, after an extensive Google, I have found that my bike has/had between 145-150mm of travel. I'm not maths-smart enough to do reverse calculations to work out the stroke, and therefore eye-to-eye length :( It hasn't made it any clearer...

Is anyone smarter than me able to work this out? Or at least give me a step-by-step so I can??

Or, does anyone have the same bike (or even same shock)???

Still confused about the length, and annoyed that I don't have a bike :mad:

BundyBear

Squid
Can you straddle the bike with the shock removed and hold it up to its normal unloaded height? Your testicles will probably know where this is to within a few millimetres.:rolleyes: Get someone else to measure the distance between the shock mount bolts. The difference between 165 & 190mm should be fairly easy to pick.

From my very limited experience if the bike has about 150mm suspension travel the shock will have more than 35mm stroke, but I could be wrong. The 100mm travel bike I did had a 30mm travel shock.

Last edited:

DownhillerDeano

I think the 165 and 190mm is the length of the shock. QUOTE]

The length of travel can't always be (or perhaps never) related directly to the eye to eye measurement. Things like different linkage systems, result in different ratio, combined with the shock stroke etc.

How long is the shock body, should be able to tell be that. If it is any longer than 120 odd (just a rough measurement) it has to be the 190 version, simply because you say its stuck in the compressed position, meaning the 165 mm version would be about 127mm eye to eye fully compressed. Are their no oter markings on the shock body?

I'd be tossing that shock away, finding out the bike eye to eye from some else then obtaining a new better shock

No Judge

Likes Dirt
The length of travel can't always be (or perhaps never) related directly to the eye to eye measurement. Things like different linkage systems, result in different ratio, combined with the shock stroke etc.

How long is the shock body, should be able to tell be that. If it is any longer than 120 odd (just a rough measurement) it has to be the 190 version, simply because you say its stuck in the compressed position, meaning the 165 mm version would be about 127mm eye to eye fully compressed. Are their no oter markings on the shock body?

I'd be tossing that shock away, finding out the bike eye to eye from some else then obtaining a new better shock
It's a four-bar linkage, think Specialized, design...

You know, I actually never thought of measuring it as a compressed shock :eek: As it stands now, it's about 145mm eye-to-eye :eek: Going by that, it will probably have to be the 190mm...

Yeah, the shock is definitely going in the bin. Unless someone wants a broken and stuck shock to play with??? I'm looking around for a better shock. But obviously had to get the measurements first - probably something with 'pro-pedal' or equivalent...

karl_eller

Likes Bikes
190-50 = 140mm (eye-to-eye minus stroke length = compressed length)
165-38 = 127mm

Since you're saying the length of the compressed shock is ~145mm, I'd be willing to bet good money that it had a 190x50 on there.

Eller