Help with rim choice .

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
I currently have a built rear wheel that is a Stan's ZTR ARCH in white on the back i need to get a new front wheel made up . I am told i cant get that rim in white but i can get a Stan's ZTR ALPINE or a Stan's ZTR CREST . I want a rim that can take a bit of abuse what would be my best choice ?

I ah to agree that the crest rims do not take abuse well - that's not what they are designed for. That said, my front crest rim is going strong where my rear disintegrated under the abuse I was giving it (drops to flat, missed gaps, general poor freeriding).

If you make the switch to flows, you may be on the hook for new spokes if it was your intention to use your old ones. There is a 5mm difference in ERD between the the flow and the arch rim. It all depends on your current spoke length if you can get them to work or not. Conversely, the crest shares the same ERD as the arch. You can find white arch rims, but they usually come from a private seller as notubes does not make them anymore. Depending on what size you were looking for, there was a set on pinkbike.com in 27.5 flavor.

As a reference, I am an aggressive rider but only weigh 75kg.

teK--

Eats Squid
I think it comes down to rider weight.

I'm 70Kg fully kitted up and I had a Crest on the front which saw all sorts of crazy cases of jumps and crashes but it stayed in one piece.

Heavier rider may not fare as well.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I think it comes down to rider weight.

I'm 70Kg fully kitted up and I had a Crest on the front which saw all sorts of crazy cases of jumps and crashes but it stayed in one piece.

Heavier rider may not fare as well.
70kg? Damn, son! Are you 4'11? :p

I hope my ArchEX hold up in the long term, I'm 90kg and can feel the rims flexing occasionally... I'd almost be a bit scared to land a jump on an angle, haha.