Help with frame ID and single speed

nathanm

Eats Squid
So I bought this frame and some parts cheap to paint and rebuild with the idea of getting someone new into riding cheap.

But I can't work out what the frame is. It looks to be a 2000s Norco dirt jumper like a 150 but has vertical drop outs and no cable mounts/guides other than one on the rear stay for a brake and no rear hanger.

Wondering if it may be a bigfoot or similar converted to SS.

I've got a 150mm fork for it but if it is a DJ for it'll be too long.

It would be easier to keep it SS as all I would need is a chain but with vertical drop outs it looks difficult without a tensioner

Would love some info and advice.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Pics would help. Not sure I'm sold on the colour scheme but enjoyed painting it regardless.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Nothing useful to help with your tech questions sorry, just commenting to say I don't mind the paint. Looks a bit odd as just a frame, but I reckon it'll look pretty good (in a neon type of way!) once built up.

Is the front teal the same as the back turquoise?

nathanm

Eats Squid
Nothing useful to help with your tech questions sorry, just commenting to say I don't mind the paint. Looks a bit odd as just a frame, but I reckon it'll look pretty good (in a neon type of way!) once built up.

Is the front teal the same as the back turquoise?
Yeah mate just 1 pink and 1 blue rattle can.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I thought it looked a bit "mongoosey"..but lets see if anyone can do better
if it was a RM, could be sitting on a few $K, going by recent ebay prices

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No obvious signs of cutting or grinding. Looks factory but could be some sort of SS conversion if there is such a thing?
I'm with @Dales Cannon on this. 100% sure that frame has been designed for a rear mech to be attached. The bolt that secures it to the frame is still there and easily seen in your second photo.

The square to round tubing was popular in the early to mid 2000. Norco (would have had the metal head tube badge or signs of removal), Kona, and da bomb all spring to mind.

I had a few Norco hardtails back in the dark times. They tended to have more gusseting.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Take a photo of the drive side drop out from the outside. I am sure there is a hanger bolt and the hanger has been edited, if not why is it different to the other side?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I don't think it looks like a Kona either, the welds look too small,with Kona's it's like the Tig welder setting is stuck on 11!

nathanm

Eats Squid
Take a photo of the drive side drop out from the outside. I am sure there is a hanger bolt and the hanger has been edited, if not why is it different to the other side?
Hope that helps. Agree that it originally came with a hanger. So question is now to save money and make SS or convert back to geared

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yep, definitely been cut off. Take the hanger off and see if there are any numbers on it! While it is off sketch around it and post that pic on here 1:1 and we can all see ifn we got one in the bits boxes. Gear it back up again. Single speed is for @moorey and you don't want to be like him.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I don't think it looks like a Kona either, the welds look too small,with Kona's it's like the Tig welder setting is stuck on 11!
Shit all came out of the same factory...welded by the same robots...based on the same base model. I'm leaning to da bomb sputnik.

Yep, definitely been cut off. Take the hanger off and see if there are any numbers on it! While it is off sketch around it and post that pic on here 1:1 and we can all see ifn we got one in the bits boxes. Gear it back up again. Single speed is for @moorey and you don't want to be like him.
Shouldn't be impossible to work out which generic hanger fits in there.

As for the ultimate question @nathanm, I'd want to get a hanger. You won't be able to run a tight and secured chain in that frame without using either a rear derailleur or a chain tensioner. Anyone (not myself fortunately) who has ever tried to do what that frame's previous owner has done I'll tell you the frame will flex and spit the chain with out too much effort, if you are going to try and jump/park/huck on it. Shit you might even be a pedal power monster and flex it out enough on a down stroke!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm definitely wrong with the sputnik call.

Not a Cowan either - no sliding dropouts

The stuff looks like it's on the money, but the hanger doesn't look right to me

images (34).jpeg